8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Mark Burnett's latest endeavour :)!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Burnett's latest endeavour :)!!!
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I just recently started watching the History channel's "The Bible" and have a few questions to anyone who might also be watching it as well. It is produced by Mark Burnett, who is famous for producing a lot of other popular shows on TV (Survivor, Are you smarter than a fifth grader? etc...). In an interview, he said that the best thing he loves about the bible is that it is a wealth of beautiful stories, and as a producer, what makes these stories even the more awesome is that there's no writers knocking on his door begging to get paid pronto. That having been said, I love the show, as it is the bible after all, but have noticed a few CGI that honestly looked like they were from an elementary school student's project ( I bet they decided that if they have to skimp on something, might as well be the special effects, so as not to compromise the important part; the acting).

Has anyone else noticed anything they'd like to share, vis-à-vis the cinematography of this show [Smile] ? Thanks to you all and hope you are all having a great week XD!!!

Best,
ET

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an fyi, this topic could be running dangerously close to the "no religion" discussion policy on the forum.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Matt,
thanks a lot for the heads up, bud [Wink] ... I specifically did mention "The cinematography of the show..." tho [Frown] , I hope I ain't skatin on thin ice n if deemed inappropriate, I wouldn't have a problem takin it off [Wink] ... Thanks again, good sir [Smile] !!!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 12:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's absolutely true Elyas, the Bible is full of great stories, many have been adapted to modern film by screenwriters, much like
some of the stories of the Greek Myths turn up in Italian westerns.
Cecil B. DeMille used to boast he could make a film from any two pages from the Old Testament, and I bet he could've too.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't see how we could completely get away from "religion" (that's term with mqany facets), whether Christianity, Islam, Bhuddism, Catholicism or any other "ism" as there are a wealth of films relating to assorted religions and so I see no problem discussing religious pictures/epics ect, as long as the individual theology of the religion isn';t introduced, thereby becoming "preaching" of a form to the forum.

That, I believe, WOULD cross the line.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2013 01:20 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a wild guess, but I would imagine the producers are just being frugal. Since they're shooting a television miniseries and not a 65mm/70mm roadshow epic, they may feel that most of the viewing public will forgive special effects that are "just good enough to get the job done."

A case in point: I realize the miniseries Lonesome Dove predates HD TV, but I happen to own a copy of it on Blu-Ray. What strikes me when I watch it-- and I am a huge fan-- is that the special effects in some scenes (e.g., sandstorms rolling across the plains) look just dreadful. But in the late 1980s, on an ordinary 480i CRT, the special effects were probably about as fine as they needed to be. Only now, in 1080p, are the problems evident.

I have not been able to catch up with this present miniseries, The Bible, but I know people who are very pleased with its overall quality. And whatever else we may believe, surely many of us would say the Holy Bible is a significant book in Western Culture, with a wealth of inspiring and thought-provoking stories.

Last of all, speaking of DeMille, I've read many times that, when asked why so many of his films were biblical epics, he would typically respond, "Two thousand years of advance publicity!"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 13, 2013 04:45 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true of so many TV shows and some films David, but I can
forgive them the FX if the story is good.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2013 09:27 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh: Thanks a lot, good sir! I totally agree with your statement and as for DeMille, he sure did a heck of a job with his bible-themed classics... just flawlessly timeless master pieces [Big Grin] !!!

Osi: I couldn't agree more with your take on how impossible it would be to get away from the topic. I also second your stance on not stepping beyond the faint line and foray into "preaching", as this is certainly not the platform for that.

Dave: Thanks for the info and as for Demille's "2000 years of advance publicity!!!" comment, the man was clearly one wise gentleman [Big Grin] !!!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Elyas for bringing this up, as I've heard a lot of publicity about this but am unable to view it. So this discussion is of particular interest to me. Especially if anyone actually watches it and comments here! [Wink]

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 01:34 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, the pleasure is all mine [Wink] !!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC