8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm Survives In Nashville, TN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm Survives In Nashville, TN
Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link, below, is an article in one of the local publications here in Nashville, The Nashville Scene. Our local art/revival house (twin, in fact), has just added digital 4K to both their screens. They are quick to point out, though, that they are just adding, not converting, digital. 35mm (as well as 16mm in some cases) will still be offered, as part of their revival films, special events, etc. This is the only cinema left in Nashville that will offer this, all the commercial houses have all converted. The Belcourt Cinema is a non-profit entity. I am a member of The Belcourt, and will continue to support this theatre. BTW, the main theatre, built in 1925, was originally one of the first silent film houses in Nashville, for vaudeville and live theatre, was originally known as The Belcourt Playhouse. This cinema is thriving, thanks to the support of the local community. Have a good read here:

http://m.nashvillescene.com/countrylife/archives/2013/04/10/belcourt-adds-digital-projection-but-35mm-isnt-going-anywhere?fb_action_ids=10201013380641958&fb_action_types=og.likes&f b_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={%2210201013380641958%22%3A573739615990489}&action_type_map={%2210201013380641958%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 02:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Greg. Over the pond there is also a healthy movement to at least recover the un-installed 35mm machines to preserve them and also to keep access available to the format. The 35mm film story is far from over and a bit of cheery news for those worried it was the end.

A film projectionist with some 60 years experience just about coined the digital vs 35mm debate recently when he described digital projection within his cinema as looking flat compared to 35mm film. Its all a question of money at the end isn’t it.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 04:02 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Greg for posting that link, the Belcourt Cinema web-site also makes an interesting read. Although the 35mm projection side of things could last forever, I cant help but feel, its going to come down to the availability of 35mm prints that might be the sticky bit for the future of projecting film.

I would like to be wrong, and film will still be available in the future as its special and always will be compared to video projection....time will tell I guess.

Graham.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will have to rely on collectors to provide prints to screen.

Bill [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 11, 2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for cinemas retaining 35mm, but this confuses me with regard to the upcoming situation in the USA. 'Out of Print', Julia Marchese's documentary currently in production "about the New Beverly Cinema and the mission to keep 35mm films available to the public" is motivated by the belief that ALL 35mm distribution, not just new films - at least from major distributors - is due to stop soon in the USA, which is obviously particularly serious for revival theatres that don't want to resort to screening DVDs/Blu Rays. I'm certain of that because I managed to ask Julia when she came to London last October. http://outofprintfilm.com/index.html

Greg - perhaps you could ask the cinema sometime if they have a different view?

I should add that if Julia is right, this is specific to the USA. I don't believe that there's the same threat in the immediate future in relation to the distribution of existing 35mm prints in the UK.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 12, 2013 01:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about the size of it Bill in some cases.

The States does seem driven by the distributors to switch to dig but obviously they have passed the cost of the $180,000 re-install onto cinema owners many of which have folded due to this huge investment needed. For the small cinema this means a close down unless local communities come to the rescue to save its favourite venue perhaps. In the UK things do seem a little different in that some of the smaller cinemas are retaining film projectors alongside digital, but no denying the big boys were speedy to ditch the 35mm equipment and go the distance with a new dig installation. More than the loss of projected film my heart goes out to young families who will be loosing jobs here and I’m sure many of you will have witnessed friends who are no longer employed due to a staff scale down. The digital cinema I visit has a small staff and a manager who switches on the digital projectors and I find the whole idea of running what used to be a lavish presentation where you knew the staff went to the limit. The presentation now is most certainly more machine like and I don’t feel the love as it were, it’s more like a cattle market than a special night out as the public are aware of the switch over as well.

As mentioned before, some more shall we say classic cinemas such as the superb Stockport Plaza retain film presentation even boasting a Vitaphone projector and Compton Theatre Organ. At home more film enthusiasts are preserving 35mm and even 70 projectors, and so there are plenty of film presentations still taking place and its up to the viewer to hunt down a venue that meets your own needs perhaps. I see a number of home 35mm shows and small film groups forming before very long who will only watch large format film so it will continue.
OK, you can argue how are film only cinemas going to screen new films when prints are not being struck. But with so many recycled storylines coming along only with the cast list changing are we really bothered?

To end its so nice to listen to John here http://youtu.be/C8QpkSpfpEA and hear him enthuse about film.

[ April 12, 2013, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC