8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A little light relief.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little light relief.
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I remember seeing Bob Hoskins was in a TV series called Flickers, in which he played the owner of a film studio during the silent era. The name of the company was Miracle Pictures, and their slogan was 'If it's a good picture, it's a Miracle'.
At the time when the UK only had 3 or 4 TV channels, and licence payers were complaining about the number of repeats and old films, the following joke came out. 'I saw a film on TV last night, it was so old Gabby Hayes got the girl'.
Samuel Goldwyn was quite a character, among the lines he came out with were 'Our comedies are not to be laughed at', and 'A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on'.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 30, 2013 09:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,the first time I recall seing Bob Hoskins was in the BBC
"Pennies From Heaven",which was rather risque at the time.
As for Goldwynism's, what about,"Gentlemen,kindly include me out"," A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on"
and "Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined". That sounds like a man with a terrific sense of humour.

[ June 30, 2013, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Hugh, loved them. I never saw Pennies from Heaven, if I remember rightly wasn't it a BBC series. I had to go on to IMDB to find out the name of the other Hoskins show, as I couldn't remember the title. imdb.com is a great source of info, there is also allmovie.com. I can't think of any other cine related funnies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC