8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Shane Blu Ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shane Blu Ray
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 09:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Paramount Blu Ray of Shane is getting rave reviews in the A/V press . Apparently the quality is amazing and far superior to the 2000 DVD. It will have to be good to beat the superb Derann super 8 print.
It is being released in the USA on Aug 13.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although film will always be my first love, I'm always excited by these restorations of classic films. We have the privilege of seeing these films better than they ever looked in the movie theater, (well, nearly) ...

... and sometimes you jaw just drops to the floor when you see the restoration.

One of my favorite restorations was done on Cecil B Demille's "Ten Commandments". Now, I have the old laserdisc box set that is letterboxed and was fairly restored, but it still had that ancient looking color spectrum that bear every mark of "50's" color, (that's what I call it).

The newest restoration of this film has a very natural color spectrum and is incredibly sharp. It's a much better experience watching it these days.

In the case of the "Ten Commandments", I would love to see if restoration artists could find the original elements for the special effects and redo them, not with cgi, but with the origin al elements and probably make those special effects look even better than they dare dreamed they could have made them back then.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes , everybody here loves film Osi, and there are plenty of amazing quality super 8 prints around. But there is no doubt that DVD and Blu Ray have been an enormous boon to film collectors and film afficianado's. As you say, some of the restorations are stunning, and I share your opinion on the amazing Ten Commandments restoration. But I think perhaps the biggest thing that the optical disc has provided are the special features attached to most of these classic films. Here we ger material that no film collector has ever seen before- interviews with some of the stars and directors, biographical materials, 'making of' features etc.
I treasure my superb Derann print of Shane , but I fully intend to buy, and enjoy, the restored Blu Ray of this iconic film.
Incidentally, one thing I did with my super 8 print of Shane was to record the DVD special feature commentary by George Stevens Jr onto the balance track 2.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's your opinion, Paul, but I am not sharing it. Video, dvd, blue ray or any digital record is not film for me. I am not looking for something perfect, I am looking for something that gives me pleasure. I attent three month ago to the montly projection meeting of the Ciné Club 9,5 de France in Paris. There had been a problem to start the film, so the projectionist has had to try two or three times to be able to project. Then, it was, of course an eighty old copy of a sound film with lines and a sound which has nothing to do with what we're using to now. But what a pleasure to feel that there is a real work from a projectionist behind this and that it's a miracle that what people used decades ago is still working. I do have a flat tv set and a dvd player and I appreciate them but nothing, for me, can beat a real film projection.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 01:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,
I totally share your opinion about the special joy of film projection. The optical disc cannot compare with the wonder of a reel of film and the magnificent machinery that is used to show it.
But, I can still appreciate and enjoy a movie shown by projected DVD or Blu Ray.
The two mediums are complimentary in my opinion.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, I will keep an eye out for that one.

Graham [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 03, 2013 01:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to read that, Paul !

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC