8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The global shipping program on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The global shipping program on ebay
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 26, 2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my strong suggestion that, if you sell on ebay, opt out of the global shipping program ...

Why?

Through the global shipping program, they first have you ship your item, to go overseas, to a place, an air terminal, in Kentucky. From there, it's out of the sellers hands, but then, the overseas buyer is now charged a second shipping amount, betond what they paid at the end of the auction, in order to get the package to the happy buyer.

I can't help but see this costing the overseas buyer more money to get they're package. Beyond this ...

Your package goes through more hands. By shipping yourself, it goes from you to the post office and directly to the buyer. This way, it goes through additional hands.

A third thing to ponder ...

I would not be in the least surprised if the air terminal in Kentucky, automatically selects the shipping for the buyer, and the automated shipping services ALWAYS have a shipping that is far higher than the actual shipping that you will get, face to face, at the post office.

There are so many things that can go into shipping overseas.

For instance ...

If you put into the automated shipping thing on ebay, measurements and weight, that isn't taking into account that the actual, fully packaged item won't weigh more or less complete, and that shifts the price about on the shipping.

So, it's just my opinion that it's best to opt out of the "gobal shipping" program, but that is, of course, your choice as an ebay seller.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add more info about this.

I have corresponded with the Gentleman over in Germany, and it was strange ...

before he bid on the item, the description said that, thru the Global Express Guaranteed shipping, it would cost only 19 dollars and some cents.

I could only find shipping no lower than 29 dollars, but the strange thing is this ...

How could this ebay program give any kind of accurate shipping amount as ....

1. They didn't have the measurements of the package
2. They didn't have the weight of the package

There's no way they could give an accurate quote to this person in Germany. He was rightfully mad to see that it would end up shipping for more than he was quoted, and the darned quote did nothing but make me look like some rip off artist when it comes to shipping.

More on this subject soon.

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about the Global Shipping Programme, but Ebay sets their own prices according to whether it is a packet or box, etc.. Lets say for example in the UK, you get the parcel weighed and the Post Office says it will be £3.50; when you enter the amount it might be rejected and a message says 'You can't enter more than £1.75'. This is only a fictional example.
In the past I have seen Ebay sellers warning potential buyers that the carriage charge will be higher than advertised because Ebay won't allow them to enter the correct amount.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an ad on Ebay in which the sellers said that Ebay forced him to put a post and packing price that was lower than the reel cost.

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something??
It's pretty simple to deal with this.
Just enter the correct shipping amount for domestic shipping in the text of the listing.
Ask overseas bidders to contact you for a quote before bidding.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I am not entirely sure of my comment as I haven't sold on eBay for some time. As I understand it, even for domestic shipping you cannot enter what you like, eBay will give you the maximum quote to state based on a description of the article.

I believe that sellers have complained on this Forum before that eBay doesn't know the difference between a film on celluloid or on DVD, and thus only lets you quote postage for a real film as if it was a DVD.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've listed recently and I just state the price in the text. No problems.

Perhaps, on Ebay US it's not allowed to do so.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is correct. Just one problem Michael; when you win an item you can click the 'Pay it Now' button. My wife won an item from French Canada, and the seller demanded more postage. The seller refused to send after we had paid. Correspondence with Ebay only received an automated reply, not a personal one. The seller refunded the money rather than post the item and Ebay closed the case.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, perhaps I'm wrong, but, even after pressing the "Pay it now" button, I'm pretty certain that this allows the shipping charge to be manually entered?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not use ebays global shipping. The old way is much better. Ebay only comes up with these ideas to make more money.

On another note... Does anybody have a super 8 good quality color optical sound copy of The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams?

Just kidding Osi;)

PatD

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael; I wonder where the law stands on this issue; you can't really advertise 2 prices. It's the fault of Ebay, a lot of faceless, nameless people who don't enter into personal correspondence.

Pat D. love your sense of humour

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, hee hee, I'm going to get ya Pat ....

GRRRR!

(that was the Grizzly).

The irritating thing with my most recent sale, "Notorious", is that when I went to make the invoice, it wouldn't allow me to do so, as it stated ...

"This will ship under the Global Express Guarateed program"

1. It never sent an invoice.
2. I called the ebay folks, as I had opted to turn off the GEG program, and they acknowledged that, but since the listing was already up when I turned it off, they informed me that it has to be turned on a sale by sale basis (I am not kidding), and that I could instead go through paypal directly and send a paypal invoice for the sale, (the ebay operator kindly gave me the buyers e-mail in order to make the payment).

I am really getting close to no longer doing overseas sales, as this is a total "cluster f**k" (using proper American vernacular), and I don't blame the overseas buyers from being confused with all of this.

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Michael; maybe you can still send out an invoice to the buyer. I had a case where I sent an item to Australia, and asked the buyer whether he wanted normal Airmail or International Signed For. So I had to wait for a reply before I could send him an invoice.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been able to contact the buyer with a shipping quote in a manner other than the official invoice.

I do, of course, make it plain in the listing that International Shipping will depend on the destination, and that a potential bidder should contact me for details BEFORE bidding.

Seems quite simple.

Regarding your query on the legal issue of quoting two prices, Robert, you don't have to quote two prices. This listing (not mine) is an example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Film-THIS-HAPPY-FEELING-with-Debbie-Reynolds-and-Curt-Jurgens-/231066576572?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_OtherFormats_GL&hash=item35cca426bc

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael. I have only ever listed on Ebay UK, not as an International Seller, but I had one or two cases where the buyer paid straight away and I discovered they lived outside Britain. I had to explain that the postage quoted was for UK only. In both cases the buyers were fine and paid the extra. You can exclude certain countries from the listing and I probably hadn't done this.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said above I haven't sold on eBay for some time, so after reading the replies and particularly Michael's helpful link to a seller of a 16mm feature, I checked with the current eBay postage rules.

For "Other Film Formats" (i.e. not DVD) the maximum is £7.00, but if this amount will not cover your costs you can specify "Courier".

By doing this the buyer will have no knowledge of the possible postage cost unless contact is made with the seller prior to bidding.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is of course that if you see an item that may interest you when the bidding is almost finish, you will have no time to contact the seller to know the p&p. It happens to me several time to start to order something on a foreign site (not Ebay) because it is cheaper than or not available in Belgium and to give up this order at the end of the process when I see that the p&p will make it very expensive. It saddly happens also with some labs who sell or process filmstock. It seems that they were used to deal with professionals who don't really care about the cost and these labs don't understand that an amateur filmaker is not ready to pay more for the p&p than for the process or an extra 50 % of the price of a roll of film.

--------------------
Dominique

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Global Shipping Program. It takes care of all potential problems with shipping cost, custom, VAT, etc.

Most importantly it solves the problem with International tracking and claims for items not received.

Jon

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 04, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's responsible if the item goes missing between the ebay hub and the buyer?
This program seems like nonsense to me. Isn't it important to keep the shipping cost down for the buyer unless the buyer of course asks specifically for a faster and more expensive courier?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good question Micheal, but I'm betting that since it goes to the ebay hub to ship overseas, they would have tracking on the package from there, and so, if it gets lost or damaged, they'd obviously know that it wasn't the sellers fault,

... and I'm sure that they're tracking would also cover some jerk from saying that they didn't get it, wanting they're money back, and eBay's own records showing that it was safely delivered ...

However, I can't help but think that perhaps the buyer would still be able to leave bad feedback on the sellers account, even if they aren't responsible.

I'm actually quite confused, I just had a STAR WARS trailer won by a fellow in Poland. I expected that the global shipping program was automatically going to send an invoice and I would have to send it to the hub, as the ebay employee I talked to on the phone said that I'd have to go item by item if I wanted to turn off that option. The global shipping didn't click in, so I think I'll call them again and see what the hell they're doing now.

I'm betting that they got a lot of calls from angry sellers going through a lot of "hoops" and confusion about what they were doing.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 04, 2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just bought a cine accessory from US eBay, I was very uncertain about the purchase as the seller uses the Global Shipping Programme which has had some unfavourable comments made against it.

But I thought I'd give it a try as the item was exactly what I wanted. I must be quite honest, it worked a real treat. Ten days after the purchase the package was delivered by a British courier firm, Yodel (previously known the Home Delivery Network.)

The package was sent via United States Postal Service, the original label was over-stuck with a label marked "Expedited Parcel - Citipost UK", this was then partially obscured by the Yodel bar code label.

When paying using PayPal the total payment is split between the 1) seller for the item cost and US domestic postage and the 2)
Global Shipping Programme. The latter covers the International postage and any import charges.

Would I use it again? Yes, I think so.

As regards my comments on what I purchased I will be posting a new topic on the 8mm Forum.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC