8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An Australian lab re-opens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Australian lab re-opens
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 05, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news are rare, so enjoy ;-) http://www.mishkin.yolasite.com/press-release.php

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 05, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring film back to Hollywood too ... Really nice, to bad no Super 8, but still nice

Thanks for the link

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope that the same happens with film that on the other post about records.

Could this be why analogue sounds better https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=waveform+analogue+digital&client=firefox-a&hs=J9L&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Gt2gUomuEpCQhQe6roCwDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUo AQ&biw=1366&bih=618

The thing I don't understand with digital you lose information and people think its better.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 05, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I say too ... I saw Ender's Game in 8K Odeon in London and when big closeups of faces moved quickly, it stuttered, as if a frame or so was lost.

Also what I meant regarding the Revenge of the Sith ... If it's digital to begin with, it won't get additional information on film, so I felt it's not the best film to buy on reels.

People are now watching more movies on cell phones. My God, where is the world going to end. I think it was Tarantino who said these two things:
Digital cinema is TV in public (so right)
Future cinema is 150 people streaming the movie to their cell phones

I do miss the old cinema, where I felt so comfortable with the nice big screen and good picture

Anyone has a time machine to sell? I want to go back to the 70's and 80's where I enjoyed cinema so much (probably three to five times a week)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 05, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a start!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2013 03:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I used to go to the Odeon every week plus you could stay and watch the film again if you enjoyed it. Also my local cinema, now sadly a videma, but still going used to have the double bills.

Thought I was really clever going to see an X cert film which was 18 years while still at school (16) and with a married woman too.

I have to laugh at a colleague who was boosting about putting a blu-ray on his little tablet, he got it down to a small file. I really didn't see the point.

I do hope that some cinemas keep film. The original HD format.

My 7 year old son loves watching my film films at the weekend.

The CGI effects to me are p**s poor in most cases. They really stand out in most, but not all films. Suppose it all depends how much they spend.

The last one I went to was Curse Of Frankenstein & Dracula I must admit I did enjoy them on the big screen, but not film, had a waxy look.

Going again to see James Stewart Wonderful Life and the other Christmas film White Christmas.

Grain OK pixels NO Long Life Film Long Live Long Life. Back in film mode advert reel from Derann Long Life canned beer.

I do digress too much.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, was the link supposed to bring up a Google images page of various analog-to-digital conversions and comparisons? If that's what I'm supposed to be seeing, then (as a musician and audio engineer) let me assure you there's a lot of misleading information to be seen in those images. You rightly ask how digital can be better if information is lost. However, digital done right loses no discernible information. That's why many of those images are misleading. Believe me, it's not done right often enough! Wouldn't you agree that there is some degree of "lost" information in all methods of recording? But at this point there is no analog system that can match the purity of good digital. Now, whether or not you like the way it sounds to you is a different question altogether.

Audio is way ahead of the visual, I think. IMHO, digital imaging has generations of progress to go before the beauty of a digital image makes me forget the loveliness of a skillfully handled piece of film. But I haven't handled analog tape in years and don't miss it for a second, nor have I heard anything in anyone else's analog ventures that makes me miss tape.

I'd better mention something on topic. The best phrase in Dominique's link concerns a resurgence among filmmakers in originating on film. Hear hear!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 04:47 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was trying to show was the smooth form of analogue and the more square digital form. Not too sure,but the hight the sampling rate the smoother the digital wave.

Didn't they have to do something to LP's bass response to stop the arm bouncing?

I feel your right Bill about audio far in advance of video. 35mm with the digital sound was the perfect match.

The original article seems to confirm my feelings for film. If films are made on film, then that film can be used to print films or video. It also has the advantage that when new technology comes along the original film can be used again. And hopefully it will outlast the other formats.

Currently transferring my CD to a server to play music anywhere in the house, my LP's will be next which of course are done in real time. All are done in FLAC format.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I was trying to show was the smooth form of analogue and the more square digital form.
That's the deceptive part because those squared graphs are not how wave construction works. Ever. The math is tremendously more accurate (and sophisticated!) than that. Google "Nyquist Theorem" for more, also "oversampling."
quote:
Not too sure,but the higher the sampling rate the smoother the digital wave.
Spot on. Also, the greater number of bits for the dynamic range. It takes both. CD is very good (44Khz, 16 bits) but if you can bump higher to 24 bits and/or a higher sample rate, you've got every possible nuance of sound overly covered, certainly beyond the ear's capabilities. Google "bit depth" for more.
quote:
Didn't they have to do something to LP's bass response to stop the arm bouncing?
The RIAA curve. I love how the vinyl-preferring purists conveniently ignore the distortions added by sucking off 20dB of bass and adding 20dB of treble to the signal cut into the record. This of course is reversed for playback. That's part of the "warmth" of vinyl - the shaped surface noise sound.
quote:
If films are made on film, then that film can be used to print films or video. It also has the advantage that when new technology comes along the original film can be used again.
Amen. Look at the new HD transfers of classic TV shows - they're stunning!
quote:
...All are done in FLAC format.
Nice choice!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 07, 2013 03:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add there is a good lab for your Super8 work in Australia called... nanolab... they do a good job. Got some film developed with them last year.

Graham.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its lucky that the US used to film many of their series on 35mm. A few that spring to mind are "Duel" a Columbo & MacMillan & Wife episodes the first two got a cinema release here, "The Man From Uncle" were edited into films too.

In the UK most were on tape or 16mm. ITC/ Sir Lew Grade made a lot of his shows on 35mm too. And in colour years before we could see it.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC