8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Very Nasty new "Virus"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very Nasty new "Virus"
Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone. Have you heard about the Cryptolocker Ransomware scam? It encrypts ALL your P.C. files and then demands more than £500 to unlock them. It is spreading via email attachments so beware. So far it only attacks windows computers. Antivirus software will get rid of it but not unlock files etc. I obtained the information from the latest issue of Computeractive magazine which gives more details and also information as to how to prevent it. It sure puts "silver surfers" like myself, with very little knowladge of computers, from using the internet. Ken Finch. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem like that last year that was arrested before it could completely execute (unplugged power and hard crashed it). This was a dual boot Windows computer allowing me to restart it in the other operating system and analyze what damage had already been done from the outside. Based on my findings AND readings, just because they say your files are encrypted does NOT mean they actually are. That's a lot more work for these thugs than simply intefering with Windows. In my case the file attributes were supposed to be rewritten to "hidden." That's nasty but not encryption!

Two-point sermon here:

NEVER click on something without thinking first (and sometims you have to manually crash your web browser if you think an "x" will actually activate a trojan)

ALWAYS keep a fresh backup of your computer (this advice I need to heed myself right now)

Sorry for your aggravations.

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 05:40 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is quite nasty indeed....make sure if you are at risk (i.e., if others use your computer and do not exercise cautions listed, like the advice Bill offered) that you consider having an "offsite backup" (one not tied to the computer itself). It has been shown that this virus can attack any and all backup servers as well. [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC