8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Yet another troubling development at ebay ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet another troubling development at ebay ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a message that one of the items that I listed was taken down, the John Wayne triple trailer auction. They stated that it is a copyright violation.

What's frustrating is that, while these trailers might be copyrighted again these days, when they were printed on super 8 film stock all those years ago, they were not under copyright, so anybody could print them ...

... but trying to convince these people that these prints were made back when these films were out of copyright is harder than pulling teeth out of a live lions mouth,

... and I'm betting, that THAT is rather hard!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that, Osi, because even the studios don't get bothered about trailers; they see them as promotional material, so the more of them out there the better.

Unless a company has specifically paid for rights to distribute these trailers as DVD extras, which, quite frankly, is unlikely.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 08:42 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should call the studio and ask if they want it back. [Smile]

Ebay has gotten too strict

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 03:13 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How I hate Ebay with their stupid inflexible rules and regulations and how I wish there was a credible alternative. Wouldn't you have thought that bearing in mind the incredible success of this auction site, that someone would have set up an alternative site in competition. Hail the day.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 18, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody had any experience with eBid?
http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?go=1&mo=search&category=&type=keyword&words=super+8mm+film&go=

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm going to call and see how high up of a supervior I can get at ebay, because I'm betting that ...

Most people who run ebay are 40 or under and probably don't even remember super 8 as a general rule ...

Same people probably do not realize that many of these copyrights were renewed after super 8 was printed. back in the days of super 8 (it's heyday) many classic features (It's A Wonderful life, for instance) had run out of they're copyright and were therefore fair game, but these young ebay morons wouldn't know that.

(I won't call them morons on the phone) (snicker)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Well done for finding an alternative site. Let's hope it grows to be credible competition. I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2014 11:34 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A disturbing development, to be sure. Osi, this was a Super 8 print, yes? Probably 30 years old?

One of the challenges of this hobby is that many products were legitimately licensed, but we can't prove it, while many others are purely bootleg. Put that aside, though, and consider copyright in general: once something expires from copyright, it can't (in the original form) be placed back into it. Plus, in most cases, anything first published after 1/1/1923 is still protected because the movie studios took care of their renewals more often than not. For more information on how long copyrights last, please see this excellent copyright flowchart.

In any case, Osi, these trailers are likely still protected as you presumed. So you can either make a case to them for it being a licensed product, or wait 6 months, create a new listing and hope that nobody notices!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC