8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » High Price?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High Price?
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though some super 8 went for crazy prices, like 'Star Wars' does. But Stingray has a rather large starting price. It does look a nice print though. Most of the ITC series were done on film, both 16mm & 35mm.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone know who the seller is?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 02:13 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling there may be strings attached to this. [Big Grin]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 03:09 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A starting bid of £349.99 for a 30 minute film is a bit over the top, even if it's rare and has good colour.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice this is the way some titles seem to go on ebay, for as long as theres idiots willing to pay this sort of money then they will continue, however,shall we have a guess as to wether it will sell?
the skys the limit if it does [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if people can get those kind of prices [Eek!] it might be time to sell my films [Big Grin]

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2014 05:15 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Gag Pasquale, Great gag!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose when I was a kid I fell in love with Marina she was perfect never talked, but sadly she was only stringing me along.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Joking apart some have done that then lived to regret it in later years having spent years collecting difficult to find titles.

David that Marina what a gal!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 05, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with you on that Lee however, when people sold there films previously it was generally for the VHS market & all the main dealers were still around, as well as projector manufacturers and of course new titles were being released constantly, nowadays you have superb quality image projection with both DVD and Blu ray with sound systems super 8, (although very good) just cannot touch and above all, some super 8 titles are achieving prices i dont think any of us would have imagined, we are tempted but at present holding on. Plus obviously now there are only a very few new titles coming out and you need a mortage to buy one. Be perfectly honest, can you seriously justify spending many hundruds of pounds or dollars on a single movie which if not looked after will have marks and scratches sooner or later?
And of course with dealers as well as us private sellers and buyers using e-bay how long will we subscribe to lists knowing the creame of what we want is not going to be on the lists we pay for but being sold on ebay?? [Wink]
Graham has a point and so does Lee. Its been said that e-bay is easier to control, i think after all the successful years of working from lists im not too sure i buy that [Big Grin] [Wink]
As ive said before, rewards of achieving very high prices on e-bay is simply too tempting.
We all live in the real world, if you were to sell up tommorrow and had, lets say, T2 feature in stereo scope, All the Star Wars feature films, Texas Chainsaw feature, Alien & Aliens feature, one or two MGM musicals, Grease Feature in scope and Disney Features are you going to
A/ Offer them on here for the average price, (At least knowing there going to good home), or,
B/ Put them on ebay with no returns sold as seen policy, with an honest description and possibly, (only possibly mind), get outragous sums or,
C/ Hand them to one of the few dealers who will give you??? Well you know the sorts of sums from previous years.

Unfortunatly the lists around now are pretty much the same old stuff going around, films we have bought recently have been OK, trailers usually being the best quality along with Derann shorts.
The question is, how long should we hold onto them before they become very little value? [Wink]
Mind you, if i ever win that lotto then i wont give a monkees how much films cost, i'll buy the lot. [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 04:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very balanced view Tom I must say.
I don’t get so surprised as I used to with the astounding price Star Wars and the like go for usually in the USA and not so much over here which I’m guessing is the reason so many prints have left our weather battered shores. Having already investigated the actual cost to produce new prints and ‘the lab’ currently having the film printer in pieces forthcoming new releases may be somewhat limited although we can hope.

Getting back to Stingray on 16mm if the programmes are on bluray this usually sounds the death knell for 16mm print value unlike Super 8 which for some peculiar reason survives many a bluray escape, sorry release. 16 sales have fallen dramatically in the UK which I would put down to the majority of interested folk having been with the greatest respect old guys who now either cant lift the tackle or have passed over. This linked to the film content age has also added to the reduction of interest in 16mm here unlike Super 8 which even today does see a few new prints being made. Moving on from 16 we have 9.5mm with prices pretty much as reasonable as they have ever been within the UK. At the end of the day it’s whatever takes your fancy but one thing is certain, with just about all the film dealers now trading on ebay the days of the film lists are numbered which is a great shame and I would go so far as to say the closure of film fairs will closely follow.
[Frown]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom and Lee have made some very pertinent comments about our hobby as it stands at the moment. I think that eBay has done a great disservice to film collecting with many people trying to sell rubbish in the hope of obtaining a high price from the many unwary buyers.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 11:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saddly Maurice is right when he says that Ebay has badly changed the film market. The prices were reasonnable when films were only sold on flea markets, film conventions and sellers lists. It would be impossible for me to buy now 10 % of the films and the material I bought 20 or 25 years a go, often foe a song.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internet is an odd thing isnt it, i did comment some years ago that it would accelerate the end of this hobby, (that process was moved much faster after the closure of Derann film), but it has in some respects helped keep dealers going i guess by reaching people who thought super 8 was finished. With search engines im a bit baffled as to why newer people havnt found the hobby and even more baffled at how many people spend twat money on film when , if they used the internet properly and searched the dealers, they would be able to buy the films cheaper.
Now Stingray, how rare is it on 8mm? we curruntly hold three 400ft b/w sound editions of this series on Standard 8. Were there ever any in colour?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stingray…Stingray da da da da da da

Not that I know of Tom but you never know what will turn up.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 10:45 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I though 'Stingray' was expensive at least it looks good colour. Now this one 16mm FILM - WHO'S IN CHARGE - SIMON ROUSE -1979 - 1000FT at £499.99 does seem a little over priced, but this one [URL=16mm FILM - WHO'S IN CHARGE - SIMON ROUSE -1979 - 1000FT]16mm FILM - I'D LIKE A WORD WITH YOU - JOHN CLEESE -1979 - 1000FT[/URL] now that one is up for £999.99.

I suppose they are quite rare.

Your views please.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC