8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Side-by-side 3D presentation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Side-by-side 3D presentation
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2014 05:24 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone any information on the lenses used for projection of 3D films printed in the 35mm “Side by side” anamorphic format which replaced the “two strip” original method.
Many two-strip films were later printed in this format so only one projector was needed, and some new productions were filmed using this format and a single camera.
Any information…. pictures, diagrams, textual, patents etc would be welcome. Use my PM or email addresses.
Thank you in advance.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check this webside:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

Bob Furmanek is the best 3D expert I knew, you can ask him your questions. He is also a member on the 35mm forum.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I ran "Jaws 3D" we had a visit from a technician many weeks in advance. This was to check on our Westar projector, and also measure the exact distance of the throw.

The film had a full square frame with the left and right images above each other.

The lens assembly which was ultimately received had a prism inside it which "sent" the two images from the lens and ultimately presented both images on top of one another.

This was why each assembly had to be specially prepared for each cinema.

The film on the screen had a CinemScope shape but was actually a "flat" image.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Oemer and Maurice.
The website is interesting and I have contacted it. No replies yet.
Maurice, thanks to you I have R.M.Hayes' book which contains lots of information on projection attachments for "Under and over" as you describe, but there was also a "side by side" format with horizontally compressed images which needed Anamorphic expansion as well as convergence facilities. That's what I am looking for; it's pretty elusive!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the first run of "Jaws 3D" the manager was receiving complaints from patrons that the film did not have any 3D effect, only after he had telephoned the circuit's engineer did we find out we had laced two perfs away from their correct gate position.

There was no indication on how to insert in the gate neither on the film, nor any paperwork with the adapter. For the second run all was well, although we could have done with a lot more light.

Obviously, the side-by-side 3D film as mentioned by Martin would not give lacing problems.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2014 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing both JAWS 3-D and FRIDAY THE 13TH 3-D in the theater in the early 1980s. I was awe struck by the 3-D effects of both pictures. For "Friday", the theater also used a silver screen just for that feature. It was great 3-D viewing, even though the movies weren't the best [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2014 07:33 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Jaws 3D' I saw in London, I was very impressed by some of the 3D scenes. One that springs time mind was a scene with a press briefing outside. It looked as if you could walk down to the screen, step over the masking and join them. The special effects in 3D were poor though.

I also saw 'Comin At Ya' made just for 3D effects.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC