8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Motor Burn Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Motor Burn Out
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to do with projectors...I have recently bought a brand new extractor fan from Ebay...totally unused, but had been built around 1976, so had been standing in it's box for 38 years! On switching on, all was well until a smell of "hot windings". The wattage of the motor is 65, but I measured it pulling around 90 at this stage. It ran for a few hours, then slowed down, drew 800w and blew the fuse on the supply. This is the second time I've had this happen...that is, a brand new, old stock fan burning out. The wiring is certainly correct (as is supply voltage), so that cannot be a problem. The fan was also very free turning, so it wasn't as if it had seized. My question is why has this happened twice now and how should I commission a motor like this in the future...i.e. one that's new but been standing round for years?

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 22, 2014 10:51 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you see if there is any corrosion on the plates inside the windings? You may have to dismantle the motor to see inside. The motor shaft will turn by hand but when voltage is applied if there is a lot of corrosion or rust the magnetic filed is blocked and it will over heat.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything looked pretty shiny. I wondered if I should have cleaned all of the internal parts of the motor by spraying with switch lubricant spray, before switching on?

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On closer inspection, there was some surface rust inside on the stators (? I think that's the term) which I could have removed with switch cleaner spray and steel wool. Too late now though, as it's already burned! Do you think this caused the burn out? It is pretty minor surface rust.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2014 07:36 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a guess but the motor was obviously stored in damp conditions hence the corrosion. The motor winding inter-turn insulation may have had low resistance leading to an inter-turn short-circuit. This is very difficult to spot by testing. Another time I would test the motor insulation and then store it for a couple of weeks in a warm dry place like an airing cupboard. Take it out and retest. if everything is OK try it out.

--------------------
Paul.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Test the motor windings insulation to earth at 500v dc using a megger. You would expect a reading in excess of 2 megohms on a fit for purpose winding.
Also if there is rust across any of laminations this can cause eddy currents which in turn will cause hot spots on that section of the core pack. Cleaning the rust can cause other hot spots as the laminations may short out with one another.

[ March 08, 2014, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC