8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Was it better then?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Was it better then?
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a child of the 1940's and fifties, my film mania started when an uncle gave me a large biscuit tin containing a toy 35mm hand cranked projector and several small rolls of nitrate (!) film. I wanted to run complete titles so I progressed through 9.5mm and 8mm. Sound was out of the question, who could afford such expensive equipment?
Now I have every film I ever wanted, whether on DVD or 8/16mm, but something is missing. Perhaps it's all too easy now. When I look through my old Pathescope and Walton catalogues I can still feel the magic of films that were unnatainable, therefore a little mysterious.
I put on a 16mm show in a retirement home some time ago, and one of the carers said that a DVD would have been an easier option surely? I said, "yes, but not so much fun". It's good to see in these columns that there are many youngsters still buying into the 'magic'.

[ March 08, 2014, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 01:26 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was better before. After digital, I will not go to the cinema anymore, even for the new Star Wars (if I am still alive when it comes)

It is, as you say, magic in reels for me and I can't understand why all people thinks digital is so great. It's missing frames, stutters (and I know many say to me, not in setup, but I see it) ... Not the same at all and the effects now are simply awful. Harryhausen, Walas, Bottin and those great artists made cinema great for me. Computer programmers don't (I am one myself, but wouldn't use it for films)

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 01:54 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Allan,the magic has gone.I'm so glad "I was there" when movies ruled!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 07:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the memory of that first 60ft 9.5mm reel, handcranked on my new Pathe Ace at the age of 15, is something very special. It was truly magical in those days to have projected movies in your home, even a dimly lit one on a 30 inch screen. Now the digital disc and large flat panel TV's have made home movies ubiquitous, and kids today take them for granted. The picture is now in color, the sound is 5 channel surround, but the magic is gone.
Like Trev, I am so glad I experienced the thrill of that first movie in the home, before the advent of television changed it all.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 05:21 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, my memory of the 'Ace' was that it came with two small films, 'Penmanship' with Stan Laurel and 'Trigger Law' with Hopalong Cassidy. Magical moments!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 05:55 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't go as often as I used to to the theaters (or videma)as, like other members said, something is now missing. Digital is not cinema and what I like is cinema. I am glad I have films and projectors at home.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I projected my first professionally made film as a teenager in 1977. It was "Donald Duck in the High Andes" on Super 8 colour sound, a Disney excerpt from "Saludos Amigos." No home shown film, video tape or DVD was ever so wonderful and exciting since. It's definitely something to with anticipation of the unknown and the effort required to put the pictures on the screen as opposed to just switching on the tv.

--------------------
Paul.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique

I totally agree with your comments regarding the present cinema experience and I do miss the look of film. One of the last films we ran at the cinema on the big screen was "Doctor Zhivago" I sat through it twice, as I felt I would never be able to watch it projected and viewed like this ever again. [Frown]

I still go to the cinema every so often and there are some movies that are worth going to watch, but at the same time threading up a film projector and running film, is a unique and special treat these days and like yourself I am glad to have it.

Graham. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 03:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital Cinema today is pretty duff and already the writing is on the wall for it. Here at least the magic is still as special as it ever was for me starting with fond memories of my childhood tinkering with film with my late father and in later years developing an interest in film making which takes home CINEma to a different level. I do think once film is in your blood it sticks unless we get sort of brain washed my the marketing of how wonderful a digital world can be. Here 8mm, 4.75, 9.5, 16, 17.5 and 35mm all live on in one shape or another and with ongoing plans for 70mm film will live on. I'm pleased to help preserve the medium so people can actually get to see it.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Sunday I spent the morning watching "Casablanca".

Not in my home cinema, but in one of the last remaining independent cinemas in Cumbria.

My better half and I, sister & her hubby, all arrived work worn and bleary eyed to "The Alhambra", Keswick, to see this classic as part of the annual Keswick Film Festival.

Paying our modest entrance fee, we were invited to free "help yourself" filter coffee, and in my own mind, I felt like I was back at a super 8 film convention, but in a REAL cinema.

I strolled down the aisle...the last time I was here was in 1981 to see Disney's "The Fox and The Hound", with my Mam, Dad, Sister & Me.

On 35mm, of course, and me all of 10 years old, grateful to visit such an emporium.

Of course I'd been back to see this lovely cinema a few times over the years, but only from the outside.

It looked beautiful as always from outside and beautiful inside too as we entered the foyer to a warm welcome from the staff.

Buying our tickets, up we go to the "circle"; that now old fashioned, but lovely climb of carpeted steps to the posh seats!!!

They now have digital projection. Sign of the times. And before anyone gets objective, I will give a link to their web site which explains a lot. Wisely KEPT their 35mm Machines!!!

Anyway, so we find our seats...lovely, comfortable seating.

Soon, the circle fills right up (this is Sunday morning, don't forget) and the feature begins.

Disappointing in some ways...they actually ran a DVD, yes, DVD (!!!) on their state-of the art 2K projector.

BUT! The audience loved it! Laughing, crying at all the right moments! What an experience!

Also, their Barco digital did an amazing job with the material. I only regret that they didn't run Blu-Ray.

BUT my point is, this film, on a big screen, in a lovely cinema, with an appreciative audience, went down so well that it renewed my belief in "cinema" as a mass audience experience.

The venue was great, the audience was great, the film was great.

The experience was great.

And, oh, it wasn't on film; in fact it was on the current lowest form of master material.

And yet, the whole experience was beautiful and emotional.

My set up at home is arguably much better in many technical ways, and I thought about ordering "Casablanca" on Blu-ray. I haven't, and quite frankly because, although it may be better technically, the experience would just not be the same.

Make of that what you will.

http://www.keswick-alhambra.co.uk/

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can tell you Rob that the Casablanca Blu Ray is absolutely stunning. Bogey, Bergman, Claude Rains, and Conrad Veight, never looked better. Warners have done a splendid job making this iconic film look the very best it can on a digital media.
Last night we went to see the new Liam Neeson film Non Stop at a local dinner movie theater. Yes it was digital projection, and I thought that my home digital projection looked far superior. Nevertheless, there is something added when you share any film with a large audience, and it is great to hear that Casablanca is still being enjoyed by audiences in professional cinema's.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, I think I'll be ordering it on Blu-ray then, simply because I love this "movie" especially now, because watching it will remind me of the lovely experience I had seeing it at the cinema; on DVD, lol!!!

To get back to Allan's original post...get a good movie and a comfortable audience...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan and others,

I am collecting film as well as vinyls (most film collectors will love vinyl and HO train or old toys, .... [Wink] )

Every time I join into a discussion about how beautiful is celluloid film or how vinyl has more warming sound, I ask my self "do you really feel it?".

My sincere answer to my self "No". So why I am collecting them, must be your question.

To me threading film on a projector (or putting a vinyl on the platter) is kind of a special moment to me. The exoticism of having those ceremonies is priceless compared to slotting a disc into a disc tray.

Surely I am watching DVD for new release movies, but I am renting or re-sell those discs after watching them. But super 8mm films are staying in my library... [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 10:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Winbert is really into the Tom and Jerry films, and I think cartoons in particular look so much better on super 8 than they do on digital media. Cartoons from DVD and BluRay often look clinically sharp, but flat with no depth. And color is often so much better on a super 8 print. There is no way I will watch a Tom and Jerry projected from DVD, but the super 8 ones are a joy to watch.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert,
I also collect vinyl and most of my new music purchases are vinyl. A lot of artists are now releasing their new titles on vinyl in addition to CD's and MP3. I think they realize that vinyl truly does offer the best listening experience. A few years ago I put an old Capitol 45 of Day Tripper (Beatles) on the turntable and our sons (both MP3 listeners) were amazed at the difference. Now we play a record or two every night together. Anyway, yes ! it is not your imagination. It does sound wonderful and warm. Keep playing. - Clay

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 12, 2014 09:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, I am really into TJ.

I can go to a dollar store and buy a TJ video compilation for a dollar and get 7 stories on it.

But it does not have the exoticism I meant. I prefer to spend hundreds dollar for 7 titles and feel happy with them.

The most important in our life, eventually, is how to make us happy, right?. [Wink]

Plus something that priceless is the excitement of getting certain titles on 8mm that I have been searching so far.

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In reference to the original post- I totally agree.

Its what happens when people get too much of a good thing. I notice, from children to adulthood, people that have easy and unlimited access to something such as toys, candy, entertainment, etc., you quickly lose appreciation for it.

Unfortunately, just like delicious junk food, if you eat too much, you get sick. I'm afraid if I ever bought a video projector and hundreds of my favorite movies on DVD, I'd probably waste away in a big comfy chair and never be seen again [Frown] [Smile] .
I'll have to stick to my limited super 8 collection, as well as the occasional VHS & DVD on the TV. Thats just me [Wink] .

James.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 13, 2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said James! I couldn't agree with you more. I watched Calamity Jane this morning on Lpp stock Derann super 8. I could have bought the DVD 40 times over for what I have spent in pursue of 8mm perfection regarding this print. The bottom line is, I wouldn't have bothered if it was a digital copy, but now that I have an almost perfect super 8 print of this fabulous classic once again.... the pursuit, the daily trawling of the internet and then finally the find followed by the extreme pleasure in watching "my secret love" in totally unfaded visual & sonnically brilliant nostalgic perfection, just makes film collecting, for me, more and more infectious every single day!

I have one person to thank for this and he knows who it is!.... Thank you very much sir, you are an absolute diamond!

Lovely story ealier BTW Rob! You reminded me so much of my own childhood. Sounds like the four of you had a fantastic weekend break. Good for you Rob!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC