8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "In Homage to Celluloid"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "In Homage to Celluloid"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 20, 2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and Gentleman, I propose a project that I would like to involve as many of you as possible in!

I am going to make a short film (I'm not sure as to how short, however), which, as of now, has the working title ...

"In Homage to Celluloid"

What I will do is pay appropriate tribute to this celluloid that we all know and love. I will have a separate short section, dedicated to each film gauge ...

standard 8mm
Super 8mm
9.5mm
16mm
35mm

and ... if possible

70mm

What I would like to propose is, any who would wish to either offer they're expertise in any certain film gauge or comments concerning what film means to them, make a short video in Mp4 format, (the higher the definition the better, save it at a decent image quality), and then send it to me at this e-mail address ...

toac2001@hotmail.com

... and I will incorporate your comments and expertise to the video.

Please note:

I will personally have the option of editing the footage to fit the overall timeline, but I promise NOT to alter your comments in any way shape or form, to dishonor your statements.

To be honest, this could end up being a documentary. I will serve as nararator and host, but I personally think that this would be a great way of showing the world through youtube, (and if any would like they're own personal copy, which I will be happy to comply with), this hobby that we love so much.

Please note: this is being done, not for profit.

Comments will be in two regards as follows ...

1. Expertise about certain film gauges
2. Personal comments about what film means to you.

also ...

3. Footage of projectors such as 35MM, 16MM, 9.5MM in use, (as I do not have those projectors myself, just film from each gauge).

I am already in the process of shooting some of my footage.

As many as wish to, your more than welcome to send the video and the more, the merrier.

I would personally suggest either 720p or higher (1080p) for the source video. As those who have seen my music videos can see, I use 720p, which functions brilliantly for me.

Also, anyone who works as a curator of sorts (concerning film) if you would like to have yourself recognized as such, please make a note of that when you send the video.

I will also play this one much more straight with a lot less humor attached, so that my scenes would not distract from others comments and expertise.

also, one last note for the moment, my Hotmail account only allows up to 20mb for a file as an attachment to me.

I thank you for your time ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be making some footage for you :-)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 20, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should film it in 16mm :-)

Very cheap compared to video
;-)

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 20, 2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pal or NTSC Osi?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 04:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NTSC is the solution nowadays as many DVD players in North America (and elsewhere) cannot handle PAL but all PAL players can handle NTSC.

I've already let Osi know that his proposal is going to be a surprising amount of work and to make it available as a freebie on YouTube is not sensible. Do it as a DVD which we can pay you a few bucks for via this forum or a web page and then I think as long as you make a professional job of it you'll have a worthwhile product which us film collecting enthusiasts will be only too happy to pay for. Anyone contributing should of course get a complimentary copy.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Osi's film to have any value for collectors it will be have to be made to the same professional standard as Keith Wilton's Armchair Odeon series, which is the benchmark standard for these kind of DVD's, and entails an enormous amount of work and dedication. Otherwise there is little point in doing it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already at work. The documentary will start at my local movie theater, with me hanging out in the projection room with the manager, as well as doing most of my dialogue in the empty audience.

By the way, I should add, as a nice idea, I would certainly encourage anyone who wishes to contribute, to do so in they're screening rooms! It would be a neat way to show off yours (and my) obsession!

I'm only going for a decent digital quality, (720p or higher, depending on what you folks personally shoot your video on, though, make sure that it is in Mp4 format)

John is telling me that I ought to make this a DVD for sale. I'll think about it, it all depends on how well this goes, footage, editing and all.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2014 04:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For DVD 480 lines is all you'll need but if you do put it up on YouTube then 1080 lines (and anamorphic 16x9 widescreen) should be the standard.

Paul makes a good point about the Armchair Odeons series so it will be worth ensuring you're not going over the same ground there but if you do then the YouTube option is probably best. Be a shame to spend six months full time working on a professional documentary and then stand no chance of earning anything out of it though.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 22, 2014 09:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes Osi its good to make a film just for the love of it about something you care about rather than thought of profit, particularly if others are helping out with supplying footage perhaps. Good luck with your project. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC