8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Update on "In Homage to Celluloid"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update on "In Homage to Celluloid"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK folks, here is the latest info on what I am doing with the documentary …

1. prologue at local movie theater today …
2. A semi-detailed history of each film gauge used in the home, starting
from the first to the last.

3. Section on those who love film, collecting it and why.
4. epilogue at the local theater as the crowds come in and, in the projection room, viewing the people watching the flick from above.

THE END

I’m thinking that this will be approximately 30 or so minutes.

NEEDS …

I think for each film gauge, I would like some audio of the projectors used for each one, double sprocket 16mm, 9.5mm, standard 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm and of course, (for those folks with lots of room) 35mm. I’m not sure if I’ll do 35mm as a home gauge, but will obviously be included as, as a general rule, most do not collect 35mm.

I think that the appeal of this documentary, in comparison with other in the past, is that it will concentrate more on the individual collectors, instead of film businesses or the people who make super 8 prints available in general. In other words, this will mostly be a “fan-based” documentary.

However, that will only work if you fine folks are willing to contribute. By the way, I personally shoot (digitally) at 720p, but when I save this it will be saved at both 400 or so lines res as well as a 1080p version as well. It's too bad that I don't have the funds to actually film this!

Could someone make clear as to which format was the first to be used in the home, (was it double sprocket 16mm? I don’t know).

If you folks could be so kind, could those who have …

double sprocket 16mm projectors …
modern 16mm projectors …
9.5mm projectors …
standard 8mm projectors … (my own standard 8 is broken and not a source for audio) …

could you be so kind as to send a 5 minute or more audio clip of the engine running, as I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a distinct difference in the sound of the projectors.

Also, footage of the projectors in use.

I have each film gauge, so that’s not a problem.

Lastly …

If you wish to submit some footage of yourself as a collector, I would suggest using a tripod for the filming of the digital footage instead of handheld. It just looks more professional.

I thank you for your time …

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2014 09:17 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> double sprocket 16mm, 9.5mm, standard 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm and of course, (for those folks with lots of room) 35mm.

What about:
  • 17.5mm
  • 22mm (Edison's home format)
  • 28mm

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 27, 2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you or others can provide me with some footage of ...

1. The film itself
2. The projector used
3. Some history of the film gauges ...

I would be happy to include those film gauges. My only question is, were these formats that were used by the general public? This documentary I'm writing in concentrating on the formats that were generally used.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 27, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 28 mm had more success in the USA than in Europe where it was abandonned in the beginning ot he twenties, Pathe preparing its new gauge, the 9,5 mm. The 17,5 mm was popular until WWII when the Nazi's banned it during the occupation and forced the conversion of the 17,5 mm material to 16 mm, this last gauge being used for their propaganda.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC