8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Good bye, so soon, (well, not "reely") ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good bye, so soon, (well, not "reely") ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 27, 2014 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had what some folks would call an "Aha" moment the other day ...

I was playing “jump in daddies lap”, with my little girl, (now approximately 14 months old and cute as a button …there must be a lot of cute buttons), and I thought to myself, “Good heavens, how long has it been since I have done this?”

I have been spread so thin over that last 6 months or so that I have been giving too much importance to the things that truly don’t matter (or at least, do not matter as much in comparison with family), and just realized that I waste (so to speak) a full two hours per day at the library on the internet, (for business and otherwise) …

Therefore ….

While I will still be on here, I won’t be here nearly half as much, probably a lot less than that. know that …

1. I haven’t lost my fondness for you fine folks.
2. I still love my film collection just as much
3. I’m not dead …

… I just won’t be on here as much. So, if you don’t “read” my “presence” as much, that is why, (heck, there might be some that will say, “yay! Less OSI! Hey, I can laugh at myself).

Perhaps once or twice a week. It's just that, while I can't give up my music work, my other projects that I am doing, if I have to trim something, it has to be something that's not an absolute must and to have a full two hours more in a day that I can directly invest in my kids and wife, well, that's most certainly the priority.

I will also continue my work on the film documentary as well, as the newest post shows on that subject, just at a more laid back level.

… and to all a good night!

OSI “CX” Osgood

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite late in life with my family, what I find is how fast they grow, but you don't always see it as your there all the time. Take plenty of photos.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 11:38 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
There are A LOT of things in life more important than film collecting. I have 13- and 16-year-old daughters, and film collecting pales in comparison to the things that are truly important in life.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family is important but so is "paying" the bills.

I spent 10 years doing shift work for an airline and for those 10 years, I was either sleeping during the day or working the long hours that was required for the job. My wife once told me that during that period, I was hardly around to see the kids grow up.

Do I have any regrets "NO" that's life, it was my responsibility "the man" to pay the mortgage etc and was lucky enough at that time to have a job that provided those means.

But now with the grandkids, we have the time to enjoy "our" time with them, and we do, but you "do" need to put the effort in financially when you are younger.

Graham

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Man after my own heart Graham, I couldn't agree with you more!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 08:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit OOT:

quote:
it was my responsibility "the man" to pay the mortgage etc
That would be 30-40 years ago, right Graham?

In Indonesia that still applies well, my curiosity, does it sill apply in modern countries like NZ, Australia, UK, USA now?

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 31, 2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the housing prices, the income and the interest rates.

Back before the housing bust, 60 year mortgages were not unheard of in places like southern California. (this is almost rental.)

More typical nationwide: 30 or 15.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 01, 2014 12:41 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Am I showing my age [Big Grin] ? Although I do tell my wife, that I must work, in order to keep her in a life style that she is used to...just kidding [Wink] ...but she does give me some weekly pocket money and I must add she works too.

All kidding aside if you don't put the effort in when you are young, fit, and bullet proof, you will land up paying the price for that decision later in life. Apart from a year or so, being out of work after the cinema closed. I have been very lucky to have been full time employed from the age of 15yrs right through to now... yikes..62.

I think a lot of folk in the mid range of 20s 30s just don't see what can lie ahead, and believe me time does go in quick. Is that a lot of employers "not all" will be less inclined to take you on the older you get...so its a matter that when you are young, as they say is "to make hay while the sun shines" and hopefully be around to enjoy life "debt free" in those twilight years ahead [Smile]

Graham.

PS....I just remembered something my 8 year granddaughter Zoe said to me yesterday pointing to the sky..."that when I die I will go to a happy place".....something to look forward to I guess, eh! [Smile]

[ April 01, 2014, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 01, 2014 03:46 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I showing my age
No Graham, you show your own picture right beside that text, and it is seen.... [Big Grin]

In Indonesia, majority of us still believe in the traditional family values, where women look after the kids and men look for money.

I barely never after my kids with their home works. I only take the responsibility to screen TJ for them, they are happy, so am I... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC