8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Noah

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Noah
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 29, 2014 10:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this new movie by Darren Aronofsky, starring Russel Crowe. It is without doubt one of the worst movies I have ever seen, if not THE worst. Just imagine a film about Noah's ark, with the ark being built by rock monsters who look like they just came from a Transformer movie. Unbelieveable noise and prolific violence of course. Just total, absolute, unmittigated CG garbage. My advice - don't go near this dog of a film!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 29, 2014 11:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer on TV last week [Eek!] that was bad enough [Roll Eyes]

Russell Crowe as Noah....they have got to be kidding [Eek!]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2014 11:30 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to read that. Leonard Maltin actually gave a pretty good review although he said he would have liked to see live animals. Some of these directors rely too much on CGI. This was shot on a dreadful digital camera. Cannot stand the look. They should have re-released John Huston's The Bible shot on 65mm. I remember it looking pretty spectacular.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noah - was it better than the book? [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 04:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment the cinema seems to be trying to make films that are simply full of special effects and noise, its getting to the stage where u need ear muffs due to how loud the films are being played, is it by chance what we were saying before that now the films are digital they need to take some attention away from the image [Big Grin]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 04:39 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost everything is wrong with todays movies ... They are, as you said, noisy, CGI infested (and rarely good) and the editing is from deepest a**hole of hell. And those handheld shots are overdone by 99%. I can tolerate the handheld in Saving Private Ryan, it's used a lot in the opening, but it's supposed to be chaotic, so it's okay. Also the South African film The Dead use this and again ... Tolerable due to the frantic feel you should get. Almost everything else overdo it (I think overdone is a good word for me to use when describing new "films" or rather videos)

Cher says it ... If I could turn back time (I think it's Cher anyway) ... Would do it in a second

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 12:22 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lowest Common Denominator - all Hollywood product has to do it these days.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that Sir Anthony Hopkins lent his considerable talent to this piece of crap. Luckily for him he had a very minor role.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably why I see less and less new films. Not much I look forward to anymore. Guess I'll see Prometheus 2 and Star Wars when they come, but from the experience lately, new videos just ain't for me.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welsh Tony has been in quite a lot of rubbish here and there.

One thing could you tell Mr Crowe, was Mr Crowe !!! ?

Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 30, 2014 07:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark, Crowe was Crowe, mumbling every word as usual and as grubby looking as ever.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I may only see one or two films in a cinema per year. I figure that given cinemas are pretty much video projection anymore, why pay inflated prices for a ticket for video projection when my home HD system looks much better? I pretty much rely on pay-per-view (e.g., much cheaper than a ticket, and your feet don't stick to the floor).

I know some may consider it blasphemous, but the cinema is no longer my preferred method of watching films. Plus, I'm having my basement finished to include a self-contained home cinema that will include both film and (gasp!) video projection.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 04:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this version of "Noah" is better [Smile]
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 09:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Noah was the top film at the USA box office this past weekend, generating 44 million dollars! Which just goes to show why the studios keep cranking out these kind of trashy films. As long as people keep going they will keep 'em coming! The good news is that the audience polls gave it a C grade, so it will probably die an early death.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC