8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Some prints might be optical sound ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some prints might be optical sound ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 23, 2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just letting you folks know that they might want to write an ebay seller and ask, ahead of time, before bidding, if the prints that they are selling, are magnetic or optical.

The seller is "polkadancer". I bought a print of "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" from them on super 8, because they had said that the print was magnetic sound, which I had never ran into on super 8! It turned out to be yet another faded and yes, optical sound super 8 print.

So, please be advised. I don't think the sellers are being knowingly vague, as the "Grizzly" print had magnetic sound leader on it, so I'm betting that they assumed that it was magnetic sound. They right now have "Matilda" (a late 70's optical super 8 sound feature), as well as "Revenge of the Pink Panther up there right now, and my bet is that they are optical sound, just not listed as so.

So ask questions, and ask them to go past the leader to the actual film to be sure as to whether some of they're prints are optical sound or not, as you would be upset to get a print you thought was magnetic sound, when it's not.

Updating this ... I think those "Matilda" and "Revenge of the Pink Panther" prints are close to having been sold, (as of the time that I'm writing this), but they may well have other optical super 8 prints up in the near future, so, as stated above, definitely ask if the print being sold is magnetic or optical and have them look PAST the film leader.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC