8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Opening Weekends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opening Weekends
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2014 09:58 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been looking at the opening weekend take for Godzilla it is of course in $$$, but how many people went to see it?

I much prefer the older ways of number of tickets sold, mainly because you can really tell how popular the film is.

If 1.000.000 say paid $1 that's $1.000.000, but if 500.000 went five years later and paid $5 that's $2.500.000.

Ah I now see why. Creative Accounting.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 19, 2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't take to much notice of the figures as to how much it made and how many went to see it, to determine if the movie is worth going.

Film companies spend millions on advertising there product and its all done by professional people who know how to do the big "sell". They depend much on the "hype" that's created from all this, to get Joe public to go....The movie might be good or total rubbish but like sheep to the slaughter Joe public will go.

In the end, its best just to go to the cinema and hope for the best that you will enjoy it and not fall zzzzzzzzz by it all

Graham. [Smile]

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took Alex over the weekend to see Godzilla in 3D Imax (my eyes were spinning). Ugh, but okay, we had a good time. The movie started off well I thought. Then it became a CGI blizzard. Our City by the Bay laid to waste again, there goes Google, la la la. Anyway, the most interesting thing about this movie for me were the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) signs in the evacuation scenes. It wasn't the real BART logo, it was like some graphic student design logo. Which made me wonder, at the last minute they couldn't get permission from BART to use the real one? It's pretty bad when the most interesting thing I could take from this movie was that. Anyway, Alex enjoyed it and we got to spend some time together. And I related to him the time when I was six and dearly wanted to see King Kong vs Godzilla playing at the Ozark Theatre (in Webster Groves, Mo). To which Alex replied, "Oh, you mean the guys in the rubber suit one?" Yeah, that one. I liked that one.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel they changed from the number of people to money to make them look better. Like you say Graham HYPE.

Clay. My son Henry also likes to watch them men in rubber suits, we have that on dvd plus super 8 trailer. They were more fun then, I like to think they had fun making them too. When they start to blow everything up in the battles its great fun.

With a big grin on his face he came to me on Saturday night "Can we watch this on blu-ray?" Of course we can the title 'Where Eagles Dare' WOW do I love to watch that film.

I wonder how long the committee took to come up with the name BART [Mad]

I do feel sorry for San Francisco though, they seem to get a few monsters, like octopuses. It is a beautiful city I was lucky to have three holidays (vacations) in the 80's. Went to 2Twin Peaks" for the fantastic views, sadly the famous fog got there before us.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 06:10 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - Yes, San Francisco gets it's fair share of destruction. I think the octopus attack was "It Came From Beneath the Sea", great sci-fi.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC