8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hacked e-mail account

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hacked e-mail account
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 20, 2014 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
folks, I'm just letting you know that some rat has hacked my e-mail account, and I can't get in to rectify it ...

So, if you have any e-mails from me in the last 48 hours, (except you, Dino, I sent you one), they are NOT from me. Immediately delete them!

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ May 20, 2014, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 20, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently experienced a similar thing with an attachment to private posing on this very forum. The problem was the attachment link had a virus within it which luckily my Anti Virus spotted immediately and blocked the incoming threat thankfully.

Nevertheless, I do not expect to receive potentially damaging media from other forum users on here just by opening my private mail. I think every attachment should be thoroughly verified before distributing to fellow film lovers on here or anywhere else for that matter!

[ May 21, 2014, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 04:43 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem I have is e-mails sent to my domain with an address I don't have (anything@yourdomain.com). Now that's easy they just get deleted, but if they come from someone in your address book take care.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still trying to get back into my old account and having no luck. Hackers can brake into easily enough, but I can't get past all the security questions, (How in the neck should I know my old passwords for the account? I don't remember them once they are no good!) ...

Besides, all I want to do is get my contact list off the old account and put them in my new account. There are some people that I sell for that I can't even contact about what has sold, because I don't have a phone nu8mber for those specific persons, so this is quite frustrating!

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I'm not happy about this at all.

I just want to clarify a few points and then we can move on.

Osi, have I provided you with my personal email in the past?

If so, can you remind me when. Did I send you some scans maybe - and can you tell me when you acquired my email address, so that I can investigate this further.

No blame on you my friend, but I want to secure my email address.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 01:27 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if anybody on here is still using XP you should not be using IE firefox, chrome are safer choices. hackers can get into XP fairly easy since its not being monitored by microsoft.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 21, 2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you get everything sorted out as soon as possible Rob, stay safe my friend! [Mad]

[ May 21, 2014, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 21, 2014 08:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to secure my email address.
Rob, I am not sure you know about this, but if you join with any social media such as Facebook, Linkedin, Google+ and sort of, your email is most likely distributed to other members of the same media.

The other possibility, when you pay or receive money with paypal and your paypal address is the same with your email address, this gives a possibility your email address getting publicized.

Lastly, long time ago (now Ebay changes the mailing system) when we asked or answered a question from another Ebay member directly from your email address, it went directly to the other person email address too, and from there the following communication would be between private email addresses of the two members (did not go through Ebay mail server). Now, Ebay has changed it.

I am just giving you the possible situation.

cheersm

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2014 04:05 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it not time that hacking and distributing viruses is made a criminal offence so that these idiots are chased down and processed through the justice system? If they are not all caught it would perhaps deter some from this mindless practice. What benefit do they get from it anyway? Luckily I have not been a victim - yet! but I do have good antivirus and I always delete emails from sources that I am not familiar with.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Front page of Daily Telegraph SECURITY THREAT TO MILLIONS ON EBAY And that's from 3 months ago. They are just telling people now. What a S**t company.

The authorities should now look into why and issue BIG fines to them. World wide too. Make them HURT.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 22, 2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that David! Fine time to finally tell us ebay! It makes me wonder how many other places have been hacked. I sure as hell hope paypal isn't one of them, (but if not, I'm sure that it's always under constant attack!)

Now, I'm off to change my e-mail contact info on this forum!

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote;

"Rob, I am not sure you know about this, but if you join with any social media such as Facebook, Linkedin, Google+ and sort of, your email is most likely distributed to other members of the same media."

Groan...

When Osi's account was hacked, which can happen to us all, his list of contacts was targeted.

I was on that list. My personal email was on Osi's lists of contacts.

All I want to know is, why was my personal email on Osi's list, as I do not remember giving it to him.

Trust me, it is not available on social networks.

I may have forgotten when and why I passed on my email to Osi, which is why I am asking, because if he doesn't know, than this goes deeper still.

I'm simply asking for clarification.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 22, 2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again Rob, hope you get to the bottom of this and quarantine all of your old contacts etc etc.

Osi please just respond to the man in a straightforward manner so he can put a line of sand under this unfortunate incident for good!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I don't think your e-mail address was on my contact list, but I do remember that at some time in the past, you did write me, but I can't remember for what.

Were you the one I received the STAR WARS audio from?

At any rate, I can't access my old account, so I can't absolutely verify as to whether you were on my contact list, but I did have a bad habit of not emptying my old e-mails out, sometimes for a number of years, and if you had written me in the past, I have had a habit of keeping at least one e-mail from film fellow film lovers in my messages section so that, even if I didn't have it in my contact list, I would still have it otherwise, I'd just go through my endless pages and find it.

These hackers are bizzare people! I just found out that my gas company (for utilities, of all things!) was hacked an someone turned on a service for my house that I never verified.

Why the bloody hell, mess with something that doesn't even involve making money for yourself as a hacker?!! That just makes no sense to me!

One thing is for sure, whoever the hacker is, they are someone who likes collecting e-mail addresses, whoever they are. That's the only other reason besides getting at your money that I can't see for doing it.

HEY!! Good advice for everyone!

I asked my bank if my families CD's are safe, and I was informed that the only way a person can access a CD to get money out, is to come in, in person with state I.D. card, and take money out, and they can't be accessed either digitally, internet or by phone!

Good thing to keep in mind! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC