8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DVD Edge enancement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD Edge enancement
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2014 03:55 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be getting more critical of digital media. Watched a dvd of an old RKO feature 'The Gay Falcon' I was sure I could see a black outline around all the actors in the film. It looked a bit like the effect you got an some films when the matte didn't line up correctly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 13, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several bad quality dvds, so I am not surprised.

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2014 01:47 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The transfer on this was good with good detail. I have noticed this on quite a few titles both dvd & blu-ray.

I think its to make them look better and give a sharper (false) image.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 14, 2014 01:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several films that were obviousely transfered with a box that has a glas and the result is that the picture is grany ! It looks like if it was made by an amateur.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 14, 2014 04:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be that as the original prints are quite old DVD makers are perhaps trying to enhance their releases.

BBC Television have the rights to hundreds of old RKO films. Their prints always look first class. As they seem to repeat their material quite often perhaps they will show The Gay Falcon (1941) again. I see from my records that I recorded it in December 2006.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2014 09:58 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the huge advantages of blu-ray is mastering without edge enhancement; just one of many reasons why blu-ray is a format which more accurately portrays film originals.

As beneficial as DVD was as a format, blu-ray releases are generally in a different league. And you don't need a huge display to benefit from the improvements either.

If any collector is in any doubt about moving to blu-ray from DVD, just do it; you won't regret it and players and discs are pretty reasonably priced these days.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 14, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, you need to have a full hd tv set to see the difference, don't you ?

--------------------
Dominique

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2014 12:11 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well to fully appreciate it, really yes, but that said my mate who is really into his films uses an "HD Ready", or 720 line Panasonic plasma and he still swears by blu-ray and sees a big difference.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 14, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a rule Blu Rays are vastly superior to their DVD equivalents. But I have seen plenty of blu rays that don't look any better than DVD's. And I have seen plenty of DVD's that I would have sworn were blu -rays.
Before I got my 1080p Panasonic I had a 720p model and immediately saw a huge improvement in PQ when playing blu rays. When I took the final leap to 1080p the PQ was even more improved.
Basically, blu rays projected through a good 1080p projector are as good, or better, than anything you will see in a professional digital cinema.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2014 04:04 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I mentioned The Gay Falcon I do seem to notice it on more releases and up to date stuff too. Blu-ray some seem to have it too.

I will add that dvd does have that little bit of use to me, cheap for the stuff I like. The older titles that were never going to get on 8mm, but were on 16mm I would imagine. I never recall them on video tape.

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2014 08:55 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the biggest problems with DVDs if you ask me is companies that release films or other media without taking the time to restore them properly.

I remember buying a copy of Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion, the Tokyo Concerts on DVD a few years back, from a German company. The quality was dreadful - like a worn, washed out VHS, and the sound was flat and had a mains hum that annoyed me greatly. Ended up demanding a refund.

Since then I've looked for proper copies, but the problem is that the German company who owns the rights just keeps releasing that same, piss-poor VHS master. I ended up buying the original VHS tapes from 1993, still in shrinkwrap, and transferring them myself with my high-end VHS player, before remastering the picture and sound myself on my computer. Probably ten times better than the official DVD.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC