8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » American Engineering Genius

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Engineering Genius
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 17, 2014 08:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went bowling this afternoon and got into a chat with the manager of the boiwling alley about the 10-pin setting machines. I aksed him how they work and he said "Do you want to see one in action", whereupon he lead me to a doorway to an alley at the back of the room where all the machines are housed. To see these wonderful machines in action is to be in awe of the engineer who designed them and the company that manufactured them. No matter what the number of pins that are hit, the machine sense the pins that are still standing and then faithfully sweeps all of the pins onto a rotating drum and magically turns them in the correct orientation to be dropped into the individual loading tubes. Meanwhile the pin setter loads up a new set of the pins that were still standing, and puts them back exactly on the correct spots on the alley for the second bowling frame.
The machines that I saw were manufactured by Brunswick Corpn. in the USA, and the 30 machines at this bowling alley have been in continous service 15 hours a day since 1958! Equally brilliant automatic pin setters were and are manufactured by AMF.
So hats off to US engineering and manufacturing. [Smile] Not only did they bring a great sport to the world with 10=pin bowling, but also the incredible automatic machines to make it so enjoyable.
Here is the Paramount newsreel of the very first AMF pinsetter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogVYVOqMNg

-

[ July 18, 2014, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC