8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Back to The Future

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back to The Future
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 24, 2014 11:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went down to the local beach tonight to watch "Back to the Future".

Every summer, the local township hires a company to set up a big screen video projection setup to screen movies outdoors.

It was a great night and it's still a really good movie.

Something that bothered me a little was not how old the Fifties looked: we've kind of been conditioned to expect that. The Fifties are the Nostalgia Decade, even for somebody like me who arrived in 1962.

-no, what bothered me was how old the Eighties looked: I actually remember them!

Of course, if Doc Brown jumped forward 30 years from 1985, that would bring him to...next year!

Welcome to the Future!...How'd that happen so fast?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 25, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

You might remember the 80s but, I remember the 60s...so what does that make me?...a vintage antique [Big Grin]

Don't worry Steve the older you get the quicker time goes in. My granddaughter Zoe 8yrs old told me, that one day Poppa you will be "up there" looking down on me...I replied.... well hopefully not for a while yet [Eek!] [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 25, 2014 05:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that!

I have my choice of six decades to stick dates in now, and when I have to remember when something happened it's easy to choose the wrong one!

The cars in the Fifties definitely looked cooler...let's just hope they really didn't fill that Ford convertible with manure!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 25, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-little story from the evening:

This was done on an inflatable screen, the most spectacular one I've ever seen. It's easily 30 feet high and the projection surface was larger than most theatrical screens you see these days.

Just after Marty McFly arrived in the 1950s and accidentally prevented his parents from meeting, he and Doc Brown went over to their high school to assess what kind of temporal damage Marty had done and figure out how to fix it. As they stood in the hallway talking, verrrry gradually a corner developed in the middle of the top masking and slowly dipped into the picture. Then the entire picture started to gradually lean away from the audience until we couldn't see any of the actors North of their belly buttons.

Just then the projectionist got on the PA and said:

"Ummm, Folks...obviously we are having some technical difficulties, but if you give us a few minutes we'll set this right."

The screen was looking like a crashed balloon at this point, but a minute or so later it started to stand up and reached full altitude about two minutes after that. The movie resumed, we all cheered and people went home happy regardless!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC