8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Syncing external sound for mute films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Syncing external sound for mute films
Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2014 08:56 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching my movies on Super8, 16mm and 35mm using an external sound source for a while now, and noticed a few people asking how this is done, so I thought I would share my method.

Basically, you add a sensor to your projector, so that you get an output pulse each time the claw pulls down a new frame, then you use software that monitors the speed of the projector and plays the sound file from a computer and adjusts it on the fly to keep it in sync.
It works beautifully and allows you to watch mute films, or alternate soundtracks in really high quality.

The circuit and software I use is outlined here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sync-Digital-Sound-to-Your-16mm-Film-Projector/step7/Film-O-Sync/

I watched a mute Super8 print of The Empire Strikes Back last night, synched to full dolby surround sound, it was a great experience!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC