8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » when derann ceased trading (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: when derann ceased trading
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 15, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Google Street View shows it looking basically the same as we expect it as recently as July 2012, but in March of this year the local Council approved a plan to redevelop the site as mixed retail and housing.

If you Google "PLANNING APPLICATION NUMBER: P12/0974" it will fall right out including some drawings at the end of the .pdf

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 15, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it was painted on the wall, I certainly wouldn't suggest tearing down the bloody wall! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 02:15 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would if it was a Banksy [Big Grin]

Graham S

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A photograph of the infamous sign of Derann and it's famous establishment was posted on this forum only a matter of weeks ago from one of our friends in the midlands.

Look up "So Sad" from 24th July 04:17pm this year. Photograph courtesy of "Paul Hussain" of Birmingham.

[ September 15, 2014, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 10:51 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Banksy is a vandal.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2014 11:25 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Elmo USA left the New Hyde Park facility on, Long Island, N.Y., the Elmo signed remained on

the side of the building for at least 10 years until new owners bought the property from a real estate

company.

Every time I drove past the sign, it was difficult not to reminisce when Tony assisted me with my

GS 1200.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 20, 2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Have you seen their new one in Plainview?

( <------ Look leftward!)

Unfortunately, unless there's an 8mm projector in a display case, they may never have had one there.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve that's cool.
[Cool]

I like the shot and you framed it perfectly.

A couple of years ago I only happened by chance to take a wrong turn and found

myself on that back road. Is that by South Woods Road?

It's great to see their newer facility, and unfortunately I should have taken a picture

of the prior building because the sign that was mounted onto the brick wall was

the identical logo design that we have become accustomed.

I miss those days.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 21, 2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Old Country Road not too far west of the junction with Round Swamp Road.

It's a nice dream to imagine shelves full of brand new STs and GSs and spares in there, but probably nothing more than a nice dream.

The framing is mostly Doug Meltzer. My wife snapped the picture, he photoshopped it to look good on-Forum.

I think it's actually a smart thing to do to have a bucket list: it helps you to remember that time is passing and so will opportunities.

One of mine I can cross off the list unfinished is to shop for films at Derann, in person.

I enjoyed dealing with them remotely for years and it would have been a treat to see it myself.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 07:17 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, 9/11 too

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the irony of that. I'm not sure, but what was the first post in this series, what date? More irony?

Good to hear from ya Shorty!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Thanks for the clarification.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 05:23 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you believe that there are some thickets out there who think Derann are still in existence! This means they totally missed every message, every newsletter and every article saying they were closing. Even the number unobtainable tone when they dial Derann's old number isn't enough. Thick!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, what's brought this on? Please elaborate, are these UK residents who you are referring to??

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC