8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The St. Louis Browns or What else moves us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The St. Louis Browns or What else moves us?
Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So instead of being able to afford to fly to Manchester in the UK and attend the Northwest Film Fair in Blackpool, or to even make it to New Jersey for CineSea in October, I have instead opted to attend an event that caters to a different, rather odd passion of mine. The reunion luncheon of the St. Louis Browns Historical Society.
For the uninitiated, the St. Louis Browns were a major league baseball team from 1902-1953 (before moving to Baltimore and becoming the Orioles). The Browns are generally regarded as the worst baseball team in major league history. In their 52 year old history, they finished last in the American League 14 times and second to last 12 times. But one year they made it to the World Series. 70 years ago this October. They lost in a best of seven, 4 games to 2 to their crosstown rivals, the Cardinals. Never champions but a fascinating baseball history nonetheless. And still beloved in St. Louis. A few of the Browns players, now in their eighties and one, Chuck Stevens who is 96, will be there. This will be my first attendance and I'm very much looking forward to it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK9Ju0XHVf8

Next year perhaps, CineSea, Blackpool and beyond..... in the meantime perhaps this could start a thread. Such as what other odd interests does a forum memeber have?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Manchester City, Champions of England, and have been a supporter since 1972. But since totally unrelated to film and associated subjects, I limit my over excitable posts on here to when we win the league which so far has been 3 times in my entire lifetime. I don't expect anyone on here to share or understand my passion for this as it is totally non related.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand the passion. And two titles in the last three years sounds like quite a run in the making.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2014 07:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Clay but I suspect here's where the story ends... at least in the near distant future at the very least [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC