8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm Cine Projector lenses !!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm Cine Projector lenses !!!
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes just have a mooch around on ebay at all things cine and noticed there seem to be lots and lots of 35mm lenses popping up in high numbers.

I suppose its to be expected but there are some loopy prices. Granted Isco and schneider etc but £200 300 400 500 600 and up even seems crazy as things stand.

Surely there will be virtually no-where to use these.

I would of thought £5 or £10 would be nearer the mark for most of them even though no doubt they cost an aweful lot new.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
The prime lenses have little use now.
However, many buyers are buying 'scope lenses. They are very heavy and need special fixing.
But the main problem is as they were built for 35mm cinemas they may not focus down enough for use in the home.

--------------------
Maurice

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 03:26 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re scope lenses, you may also buy the combined ones from ISCO (prime + scope in one block) and unscrew the scope from the prime.
The scope part has a rear barrel of 52.4mm that fits the normal scope adapters you may find for super8 and 16mm.
Furthermore they have a minimum focusing lenght of 1.5mt and the quality is, of course, very high

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of scope lenses the HD Ultra Cinemascope lens which sits in my 35 is most definitely a thing of beauty what with its gold outer and all. I most certainly do use mine albeit on 35mm...

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 05:01 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes think that many Ebay sellers just think of a huge price and double it. They hope that buyers are gullible enough to believe the lenses are valuable even though there is an oversupply. Alternatively they may be hoping to start, or be part of, a stampede of speculators bidding prices up with each successive sale. [Frown]

--------------------
Paul.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right and I have seen these sell for 600 which is more than bonkers. It seems to being driven mainly by overseas owners so perhaps there is a shortage in larger countries than ours?
Anyhow, most who purchased 35 machines when cinemas were binning them will have no doubt got all manner of lenses when buying a machine and thank goodness they were at least saved and hopefully being used. [Smile]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 25, 2014 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the best bet for 35mm in the home was 35mm slide projector lenses for large close pictures etc.

Seems to me most 35mm cinema projection lenses now are just curio`s really.

Best Mark.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2014 01:49 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slide projector lenses have a plastic barrel and usually suffer the heat coming from the light source as light is more concentrated in a film projector than in a slide projector. A friend of mine melt the barrel of one of these lenses with a simple 400W lamp.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC