8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » PayPal conversion charges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PayPal conversion charges
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2014 07:39 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If purchasing an item from overseas does paypal charge me for converting US dollars to their value?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2014 04:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim
When I buy in US dollars or European Euros there is just a conversion rate which is stated before you finally click to pay.
You may find the following of interest.
https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1835&topicID=&m=ARA

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 29, 2014 04:47 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve always felt it is very wrong that while looking or bidding they show the price with the current actual exchange rate but when you pay charge you thiers with a percentage shave off so you pay more.

Very missleading and I`m surprised they have`nt been made to show the actual amount it would be with paypal at least in brackets underneath on the auction or in your ebay.

So its win win with pay pal, gawd knows what just the cash they make from that adds up to never mind the % charge to the seller.

Best Mark.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did see the charge before I sent it funny it says no charge if you use your paypal account which i used and they still charged me 6.50 for sending euro money. and it does not give one the option to use a credit card since I have a paypal card.

--------------------
jim schrader

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2014 09:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim
I bought a film on American eBay recently and paid by PayPal.
Following your reply above I have opened up my PayPal account and see that under fee amount the figure quoted is: £0.00 USD.
Was yours a direct payment to a seller, or was it via eBay?

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 12, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I bought something (not film related) in the US. They charged me by mistake twice my credit card. They refounded the amount a few days later but meanwhile the dollar dropped a part of its value so I lost money in the operation.

--------------------
Dominique

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 12, 2014 06:21 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have purchased films from the UK and never paid any fees to convert to BPS. [Confused]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2014 07:18 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My transaction was not eBay related and I did not get charged anything not sure why I thought there was.

--------------------
jim schrader

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
paypal take out commission on postage as well

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive had many prints from the states and never paid any extra for conversion of currency or postage

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:52 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
paypal take on commission for postage if you are the seller

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC