8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Any views about this report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any views about this report
John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2014 05:06 PM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://online.wsj.com/articles/kodak-movie-film-at-deaths-door-gets-a-reprieve-1406674752#livefyre-comment

If this has already been talked about then ignore.

I found some of the comments very interesting and thought provoking.

One comment I read made me laugh out loud..........quote......

I always hated waiting to have your film developed, and then paying for crummy pictures because you couldn't see the pictures beforehand.

Other than nostalgia, there is nothing better about film in my opinion, and any technical advantage film currently has over digital will almost certainly be overcome with digital technology.

Preferring film over digital is like that one person in the office who likes the fax machine over email attachments. You just smile at them, but walk away scratching your head.....unquote.

But then again I can understand his view in this day and age of FILM being expensive, but back when a roll of K 40 was £2.something or other including process I loved the anticipation of hearing the postman shove that little yellow envelope through the letter box............or am I just be being nostalgic?

And thats another thing, are we all being nostalgic? I myself think I am, it brings a warm feeling to me just to be able to shoot some movie film and recreate that feelng of waiting for the film to be returned from where ever you have had it developed, thread it into a projector and enjoy the results of your own handy work weather it be bad or good.

|  IP: Logged

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2014 06:25 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes John, it was good to hear about Tarantino, Abrams and the others in negotiation with Kodak to bring back film stock. I've also been very interested and involved in the Ferrania campaign. As far as the nostalgia, in my case right now it's more of anxiety waiting for my Super 8 film to come back. Slight deep anxiety as in "assembling my volunteer cast, the one day donation of a business interior for shooting, was my lighting good enough. should be but I'd like to know for sure" anxiety.
But I know what you mean. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 16, 2014 09:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me the whole process of making a movie using Super-8 is a goal in of itself as much as having the end product when I'm done.

There are easier, more predictable ways of winding up with a motion picture, and if I was doing a "film" for work S8 would be a crazy thing to use. (I can't imagine explaining it to my boss, for one thing...)

-but to me it's an artform I've basically grown up with and the chance to do it after all these years is very satisfying.

As far as immediate feedback goes, when I first started to film, and when I restarted in my late thirties, every cartridge came out better than the last. This is because I began to see what would be on screen in my head.

This makes the results more a result of skill, and therefore more uniquely my own work.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve makes some very good points.
I think much of the film shot today is not only filmmakers but artists trying out different mediums.
There is no doubt nostalgia is a powerful thing and I can say much of my continued interest is fuelled by nostalgia.
It is unfortunate that the person John quoted shares a view held by many.
quote:
I always hated waiting to have your film developed, and then paying for crummy pictures because you couldn't see the pictures beforehand.
I assume he’s still shooting crummy pictures (well at least until he puts the Instagram filter on it).

I believe there is a deep satisfaction in understanding your craft, and film making is a craft. If you can shoot, light, and compose on film by creating the vision in your head and then seeing it on film without the help of instant replays shows you understand the craft.
This is in no way meant to be anti-digital – economics aside, digital movie making opens up a whole new world of possibilities just as “artistically” relevant as film ushering new and great movie makers – heck, don’t digital images really shine when they look as good as film?

For me digital fails when we become too concerned about 4k and hyper realistic images – great when documenting nature and such. But it totally sucks the enjoyment out of me when used in many movies these days when I go to the theater for that 2 hr escape from real life.
For me that is one of the things film has given us – a look – a feel…..hard to explain, but, YOU know what I mean.

That, I hope is preserved.

Cheers
terry

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 17, 2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day film makers used to push a project through whatever.. These days they just talk about it more often than not. If a film wants making get cracking, well that's my take.. [Smile] If you love it enough make it!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 17, 2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shooting with any kind of camera is an art, whether 35MM camera, film (super 8 and otherwise) or digital. You have to know what your doing.

I remember seeing some "Gawdawful' super 8 home movies, (I always felt that it was pretty darned hard to overexpose super 8 or standard 8, but one of my friends proved me wrong everytime, no matter how much I tried to educate him), and then some super 8 Kodachrome (and standard 8mm Kodachrome) that even to this day, looks literally like Technicolor (OK, not quite Technicolor, but you get the gist of it).

Even when filming outside with digital, I always wait for an overcast day full of clouds, as colors always seem to be richer and better facial tones with some thick clouds.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2014 03:28 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading a long time ago a director told an amateur the way to get good results was to film 16 to one. Not the picture ratio, but how much you actually filmed to what was usable. I doubt even with a director's monitor on digital cameras much has changed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC