8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Lovely Packaging from Ken Films/M.G.M.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lovely Packaging from Ken Films/M.G.M.
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2014 02:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had in an original copy of "That's Entertainment" released by Ken Films/M.G.M. and it's got its original packaging of the wrap around vinyl/plastic case with the swivel lock, with the brilliant cover artwork, I think in some ways this particular packaging is just as collectable as the film contained inside, as I see very few of these original cases, as a lot of collectoors re-spooled the film onto larger reels, and the packaging was either lost or discarded. I've not looked at the 8mm print yet, but I was struck with the original box.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2014 08:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my copy in that box, it's a film I like to see just one reel of occasionally, not often the whole thing.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Packaging means a lot to most collectors, who like to display their collection in boxes with artwork worthy of the films within. In some cases the box art is actually far better than the films they contain! I like the glossy Ken/MGM clamshell packaging, but the clamshells do split along the spine and edges over the years. Best Super 8 packaging I have seen is the Disney collectors edition of Mickey Mouse the first 50 Years which had an gold embossed red hard cover hinged box, with a plastic slip cover, and a collectors booklet inside with the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the Mickey Mouse plastic cover tends to split.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 08, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have got the one Paul and Maurice describe and luckily it is still in lovely original condition with no splits thankfully.
I also have a lovely MGM presentation case for the 6x 400ft feature Dirty Dozen. The feature now does have a fair amount of fade (still some colour though),but the case and it's individual inner boxes are in superb condition and this would have been a fantastic purchase when new with superb colour.Superb case and laminated front panel displaying the artwork and a nice little metal swivel clasp hinge to close the case lid with.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2014 01:58 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I to have the original version of The Dirty Dozen (sadly cut). It came in one of those plastic cases, which I believe were for 7" single records.

The artwork for mine was I think was from the 400ft version.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC