8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Reel Image magazines ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reel Image magazines ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I'm just being nit-picky, but I saw an ebay auction for "Reel Images" magazines.

Of course, we have all seen assorted old catalogs and film magazines being sold on ebay, but I hadn't seen a still continuing (quite successfully) company's magazines being sold by someone other than the company, which, in my opinion, has the only right to make money off of past issues of they're own magazine.

... or am I wrong? Perhaps, if Steve Osbourne doesn't have a problem with it (I e-mailed him about it) then I assume I shouldn't have a problem with it as well. We'll see if Steve contacts the ebay seller and if the auction is taken down.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why shouldn't one be able to sell a magazine? It's in my opinion the same as buying a video, game, or best of all films. Are you done with it, why not sell it, it's your copy of it ... If they reprint it and sell, that's another story

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have every right to sell any magazine, book, newspaper, record, cd, film, VHS tape, etc. You don't own the content but the physical source is yours to sale. The publisher made his cut when the new unit of whatever went out.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar is right: you own your copy and can do with it as you please, just don't "allow" it to reproduce!

I didn't realize it, but when I bought a projector from Steve he threw in a whole pile of Reel Images. I found them the other night and spent some time thumbing through them.

-it was a treat!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, his magazine is a really good read.

I suppose the only way for a person to make sure that they're material cannot be resold is to put somewhere on the item, "Not for resale"

However, that certainly hasn't kept most of us from reselling many a print that has had that on the very boxes. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I suppose the only way for a person to make sure that they're material cannot be resold is to put somewhere on the item, "Not for resale"

That won't hold up in court here in the USA. The same Supreme Court ßetamax ruling establishing the 1st sale doctrine applies to all copyrighted works. Once an item is first sold, future owners can do with it as they please including selling or renting, as long as they do not make copies for other people. Placing a notice on an item that is contrary to the 1st sale doctrine will be rejected by the courts. There are some exceptions to this for digital computer software, but that does not apply to this situation.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 11:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't follow your reasoning. If you buy a book, who or what could stop you to resell it after one minute on EBay if you want to do so ? I don't see any difference with a magazine. There are items that are illegal for reselling on EBay (like weappons or nazi symbols) but cine magazines don't fall in that category.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 11, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just seems to me that the owner of copyrighted material (note: I'm assuming that Steve has copyrighted his company logo as well as materials), should be the one to profit from the sale of them, and not someone who has done nothing to contribute to said material.

That's probably the artist in me coming out, though.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 11, 2014 01:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then how can we have used book stores?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 11, 2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was not legal, you'd not see used CD's, DVD's, comics, books, games or anything ... It's the reproduction (copying) and selling those that are not allowed

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 11, 2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some rules that you cannot resale books, tapes, films, cassettes, DVDs that is made in certain countries.

For example those items made in Indonesia will have a mark "sale for Indonesia only"

http://goo.gl/VCU9Dv

The reason is they are copyrighted items that the physical materials may have the same exact cost anywhere (e.g price of paper, price of tape, etc) but the price of copyright can be made vary.

So the copyright holders have agreed that for less developed or developing countries to get paid less than developed countries. By having this the price of item is cheaper but then it is not right to resale in other countries.

But it does seem what Osi says about "Reel Images" magazine falls into this category.

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 11, 2014 11:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, does that also apply to used books (or tapes, cds and so on) ? Once someone bought an item like the one quoted in Indonesia, I suppose it is not illegal to take it in another country and then resell it as a second hand article.

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 12, 2014 06:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You were in Belgium for a while, so how is Indonesia? - Shorty

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 12, 2014 10:26 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who was in Belgium ?

--------------------
Dominique

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in this country, from what I know, copyrighted means just that....you can't COPY the work and sell it. but most laws say after the first sale of a book or film, it is yours to do with as you will. Otherwise, every used book store in the country would be being raided by the FBI.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 13, 2014 12:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I believe Joe meant to me. But Joe, I was in Toronto (Canada) before and now have returned home to Indonesia.

Dominique, the wording "for sale in Indonesia only" does not apply only to books but also for CD, Music Cassette, DVD, and even international foods such as Mentos, Oreo, Lays, etc. The reason is as I said before because they are made locally in Indonesia and the owner of copyright has agreed to lower the fee, then, it is not rigth to sale in other countries, especially those countries with higher incomes.

http://www.madhousemusic.co.uk/images/cass/casshitsINDO2final.jpg

(Written there is in Indonesian which means "for sale in Indonesia only")

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CD-Eiffel-65-Europop-Rare-marked-for- sale-in-Indonesia-only-15-tracks-/171007408401

Above is an Indonesian CD is illegally sold in Australia.

Just to give you an idea, a brandnew CD from main band is sold at around $9-12 when first time is released. A DVD from a blockbuster movies is between $1-5.

How if we resell it?, it is not as simple as you say. No matter it is new or used, if you sell it outside Indonesia, it has breached the rule of "for sale in Indonesia only"

Beside the above reason, the regulation of place to sell can also based on market distribution contract with particular company in one region. For example, it was not right to sell Mountain films releases in USA, because the same titile may have also released by Ken Films, v.v. But this is not the same situation with the case in Indonesia that I mentioned previously.

If we are talking copyright, it is a very complicated matter. There is an international body regulate it, i.e. WIPO (www.wipo.int). Here we are not only talking the simple term of "make a copy of something" but goes further to such as performance right, etc. Even an idea can also now be protected.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC