8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Metropolis - 1927

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metropolis - 1927
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 02:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A near complete print of Fritz Lang's influential 1927 silent classic, "Metropolis", was found in Argentina in 2008.
A restored version of the print is to be shown on FILM4 tonight.
It airs between 0100-0400 on Saturday 7 March.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice ...

What film gauge is it? I'm curious, as that "complete" version that was rleased on DVD a few years back was a composite of a brilliant 35MM and a 16MM that was ion extremely poor condition, (it looked horrible, the 16MM, but at least we were able to finally see the footage) ...

So, a complete print on 35MM would be fantastic!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16 mm Another copy was found in Chile in 2006 and it was on 9,5 mm.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pathescope issued a 9.5mm silent, possibly in 1931, as a five-reeler with the number of SB.745.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a thread in the general 9.5 section (not in the buy/trade one) about a copy of Metropolis on sale on EBay for 1.000 €.

--------------------
Dominique

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 03:56 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Metropolis Griggs print has been up for quite some time. I have the same 16mm print which I bought for $200 dollars from Donald Lee whose father ran The Griggs Moviedrome. I emailed that that ebay seller months ago to tell him he's asking far too much for it. And he told me he had paid what he was asking for it, and I got a great deal. He will never sell it at that price. $200 for a scored Griggs print is more what he should be asking if he wants to sell it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 04:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that information. At that price, you have two main possibilities : it's a rarity (like only one copy in the world) or the seller thinks it's a rarity. From what you said, the first possibility doesn't seem to apply here.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A reply to Osi.
Having viewed last night's recording today, it is the print to which you refer.
The 16mm copy was a very poor condition negative. Parts of this were used to augment the existing copy by filling in the missing sections.
It's an abrupt change when the replacement parts come in, but at least it will probably be the best chance we'll ever have to see the complete print minus only a few minutes.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice!

I was kind of surprised when I saw that 16MM initially.

Perhaps they didn't have the money to do a proper restoration of that 16MM, but by doing a frame by frame scan, (takes a heck of a lot of time to "paint out" all of those scratches, but it could be done) that 16MM could have look a good deal better than what was presented.

I've seen some restorations of really beat up film that has been restored, both 35MM and 16MM and while it wouldn't be perfect, it could be achieved.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 02:32 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Pathescope 9.5mm print. and also a VHS issued by Eureka restored version some years ago. They have recently released a further restoration on DVD and Blu Ray. On the versions I have there are scenes on the 9.5mm print not on the VHS version and vice versa!. I have not seen the latest version. I understand that it was re edited for various countries when it was first released for some reason or other. have never seen a 16mm version. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC