8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » E-Bay P&P

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: E-Bay P&P
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 07:06 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting more and more frustrated with over pricing P&P on E-Bay, there are some very, very good sellers whom if they over-charge surprisingly refund the difference and I get a mail telling me so, but then there are some and I have had films wrapped in toilet paper, who take the p--s.Example 200ft film wrapped in very used brown paper no protection for film I was charged £3.50, actual cost of stamp £1.26, now I don't mind if the film was packaged securely etc, but a tatty piece of used brown paper come on, there are far too many making on P&P...Thoughts please...

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please bear in your mind that since few years ago Ebay makes money from the shipping you pay. Not to mention if you pay via paypal there will be another fees there.

So Ebay took a part of this problem and I have made a complaint regarding this to Ebay, and as usual, they didn't care.

So it is hard for seller to charge the exact amount without subsidising buyers for the shipping.

Beside, some sellers don't live close to post office, so there is another cost because of this.

So as long as it is not too excessive...I still can understand it.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is in UK, another example, I was charged £8.00 P&P, again the item arrived wrapped in used brown paper and cost was £2.80, plus one item was missing, contacted seller no reply... and so it goes on...I find it is becoming a lottery with some sellers...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
E Bay in general, I find, is simply a complete game of chance.
More and more films advertised these days come from sellers who claim not to know even the slightest details surrounding the goods they are selling or worse still, claim to be selling them on someone else's behalf.

They Mark the condition of the goods down as good or at the very least acceptable and often even "as new".
How can they possibly know if they claim to have no means of checking the item???

Unless you are dealing with one of your known "good" trusted sellers who you've dealt with on many occasions previously, who tends to describe things in detail as well as accurately. Also generally provides you with screenshots with films and tells you the things that are wrong as well as right about the goods, then my advice is simply only ever to pay what you consider "throw away" amounts of money. Certainly no huge sums without assurances and returns policies that are fair all round.

E bay, by its very nature, is little better than shopping at a car boot sale in all too many ways. It is set up to allow rip off merchants to prosper and that includes even the P&P arrangements.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 04:51 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that too many Ebay sellers see film sales as a nice little earner and are getting prints from questionable sources that they themselves cannot guarantee, nor appear to want to. As film can be so easily damaged I'm inclined to buy from reputable local dealers or members of the enthusiast forums. The risks otherwise are becoming too expensive to put right and dealing with rip off merchants is embarrassing to say the least. And as for postage charges...aaaaaahhhh

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC