8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » North Carolina accent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: North Carolina accent
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 19, 2015 05:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the fun, could one of our American memmbers have a look at the 17 first seconds of this French commercial and say if the policeman has the right accent ? The action is supposed to happen in Asheville, North Carolina. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBD6ajp-0ZQ

Edited : I've just found a second commercial with another state mentionned and it seems to be the same policeman so the accent is more than probably not correct https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxEOkGEhRU

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 12:32 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not from that part of the country but I have been there. That doesn't sound like a North Carolina accent. North Carolina is South of the Mason Dixon line, that sounds like a Yankee accent.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 20, 2015 01:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Bryan. I guess that for a large country like the US, it must be impossible to know all the variations of accents.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 20, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me the accent is more "TV Cop"!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good example of a NC accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqm5ls8Ep8

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 21, 2015 02:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 21, 2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many of us...Sheriff JW Pepper.. in "Live and Let Die" sums that Southern accent up [Wink] [Smile]

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 02:03 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a native of Greenville, South Carolina, which is about an hour's drive south of Asheville. In fact, I worked as a cinema projectionist in Asheville proper for about a year in the mid-1990s.

I agree that the accent could be taken as generic "TV cop." I realize the actor speaks only four words, but I would further submit, speaking very subjectively, that he sounds to me like a Frenchman putting on a generic "TV cop" (or region-neutral North American) accent. Something in the second syllable of "grandma" is ringing this particular bell for me, and I repeat for emphasis that this is entirely a subjective reaction.

This seems an opportune moment to share a widely held opinion in South Carolina, that the only person in "Gone With The Wind" who sounds authentic is Clark Gable, the one person who refused to even attempt a Southern accent. :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC