8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bad week on ebay ... grrrr!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad week on ebay ... grrrr!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I bought two films from a seller, won on the same day. A week later, he finally posts them, (2X200ft total for both auctions), with $12.45 combined total for shipping ...

He has the nerve to ship them by media mail! i use media mail almost all the time and 2X200ft super cost less than 4.00 dollars to ship. i promptly just asked for this person to paypal back my at least 8 dollars extra!

2. I bought two super 8 features, "Our Relations' and "Way Out West' (both Laurel and Hardy), from a seller who's supposed to be reputable, for 25.00 dollars each, (great deal on that, no one else bid), and now he informs me a week later that he can't find them and wants to refund my money.

I told him to continue looking for them and mail them when he finds them. he says he has to look through 500 films. hey, you don't post something unless you have the very object ready to go.

Can't find them my arse! I'm betting he's just miffed that they didn't get bid up.

GRRRR! Usually, things are so nice with ebay and then I get a week like this! [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
E bay is riddled with clowns Osi, both sellers and buyers!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Daniel Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2017 12:44 PM      Profile for Daniel Perry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't that the truth! I stand by whatever I sell on Ebay and always try to make the buyer happy within reason.

Media Mail is a great way to ship for low cost. Do you ever worry about your films getting damaged? I'm just starting to get into this hobby. Curious if media mail has been unfriendly to film? I would image the only damage would be from the seller not packing it correctly.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2017 12:47 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I am the first seller. You bought the films on Sunday. I sent you an invoice for $6 total for shipping, I mentioned combined shipping in the listings. According to the PayPal record you paid the $6 on Tuesday, not the $12+ I sent the films out this morning.

I thought our communication was clear. I'm sorry if there was any confusion, but I don't feel I should be outed as having done anything wrong.

You should receive them shortly, and I hope you enjoy them!

As for media mail service, Daniel, I used them frequently for super 8 and 16mm without issue. However, make sure to always insure. You never know what can happen!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a film delivered damaged in transit, but plenty by its previous owners!

Now more than ever, ask all of the necessary questions before ever believing anyone based on their words and their words alone!

People trying to gain money or goods for next to nothing, will pull almost every trick in the book to get what they want.
That's my experiences of these things.

The trusted buyers and sellers are the ones to treasure, from both sides of the fence.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 05:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Osi,

I am the first seller. You bought the films on Sunday. I sent you an invoice for $6 total for shipping, I mentioned combined shipping in the listings. According to the PayPal record you paid the $6 on Tuesday, not the $12+

If this is actually the case, Osi, it is a bit unfair to label this chap as a questionable seller, don't you think?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 05:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a response from Evan, while Osi has not answered, it is so confusing situation indeed. Now may I ask to Evan, did you ever receive an email from Osi asking a $8 refund?, since Osi wrote:

quote:
I promptly just asked for this person to paypal back my at least 8 dollars extra!
Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2017 08:05 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did receive a message from Osi stating that I charged over $12+ and he hoped I had not sent them both in one package via media mail for that price. He also stated that if this is the case he would like a postage refund. That's fair enough and understandable. I told him I would look into it and if that was the case I would provide an appropriate adjustment. Although my memory recalls a $6 total shipping charge. His last response stated that $6 would be okay if that was the fact. I checked my PayPal account and it shows me $6. Osi, please correct me if I'm wrong. eBay can be frustrating sometimes, but in this case I feel it was a small misunderstanding. I just feel it was a bit unfair to jump the gun on the matter. Our communication was quick. I don't like to let buyers waiting, I know how it feels!

[ February 25, 2017, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Evan Samaras ]

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks ...

I have a window of an hour or so to be on the internet, so i couldn'r respond until just now (saturday morning).

Evan ... I didn't know who personally the seller was, which is why I just mentioned the sale. you outed yourself personally ...

However, after I had first started this yesterday, I had received a reply from the seller, (who i now know as Evan), stating that he had changed the shipping amount to 6.00 dollars and just this morning, I can verify that he did in fact change it to a full amount of 6.00 dollars postage for both items, so that's cleared up nicely. Would have liked to have had them shipped quicker, but it really wasn't Evan's fault, as ...

the unfortunate thing is that, though I paid for the item on the 21st, (item ended late saturday or sunday, I believe, the 19th, and I couldn't pay until the 21st, as I don't have access to the internet until Monday), apparantly, the paypal/bank payment didn't clear until a few days later, which is frustating. I thought paypal transfers went through like, overnight, (I've tended to find them in my accoubnt the very next day when I've sold things.

However, the other seller "vetofilm", says he is still looking for the features. I'm confused as to why a person who specializes in film, would list two features, even describing that they are on large reels ...

WAY OUT WEST---Laurel-Hardy Feature---Super-8-Sound---Like New Blackhawk Print----on 1 giant reel---Black and White---Complete Feature

... and then, after the sale, say that he can't find them.
Accidents can happen, true, but it just seems a little "hinky". [Smile]

[ February 25, 2017, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,Osi and Evan your explanations clear up everything.

Regarding the other two films, yes you got a good deal there. Hope seller can find them, otherwise strike him with Ebay's unfinished transaction.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 25, 2017 03:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I must have misunderstood.
However, as you paid only the agreed $6 on the 21st but your post on the 24th implied that the seller had overcharged you, its a bit confusing.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 25, 2017 05:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Just to clear this up....It appears to me that Evan never charged you $12.45 for the shipping. It was always $6.00, so there was no fault on his part.

Best of luck with the other seller.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2017 05:55 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re postage what the buyer does not realise is if buyer has paid by paypal then paypal take commission out of the postage and the seller has to take this into account if I sell anything on ebay they pay the postage what it states in the add unless if they pay by cheque I will reduce it .on another note when some one bids and wins a films of me I have to wrap it then drive 4 miles to the post office park the cay on the car park which costs 60p then walk a 3 minute walk to post office then wait for 10 mins or so why all the old dears collect there pension then walk back to the car and then drive home I would much sooner buyer to pick up his film and pay cash on pick up but this never happens

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 11:03 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I made it clear, but Douglas is right, Evan only charged me the 6.00 dollars, so were good! [Smile]

... but I haven't heard from VETOFilm yet. I tell you this much, if he refunds my money, and then lists then again in a very short time after refunding, then I'll raise heck with ebay about and do what one of the earlier postings said to do. [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC