8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak in the 1970's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak in the 1970's
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read this is a review of the Blu Ray of "The Man with Two Brains"

"The film was made during a period when film stocks were notoriously problematic as a result of Kodak's efforts to reduce its use of petroleum products following the Seventies' surging oil prices. The company's experiments led to numerous problems with such fundamental properties as color reproduction and grain texture, and it wasn't until the late Eighties that Kodak yielded to pressure from filmmakers and the industry to return to more stable formulations."

I don't know if this was only camera stock, but if it was print stock (including 16mm and 8mm) as well it would explain a lot of problems.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great quote there!

Well, I've noticed that the optical sound super 8 prints largely used whatever stock was available and more likely, whatever stock was the cheapest, hence, early to mid 80's super 8 optical sound prints that have fade, after the advent of L.P.P.

Thankfully, not all super 8 optical film labs used to lowest of the low film stocks and there ARE low fade good prints still out there, but they are the exception and you really have to either search for a crummy but not faded yet stock of a print, or a low fade print. It takes time but it usually pays off.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 01:13 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the remark in that review is fundamentally not true. Of course the development of new filmstocks has always been an on going process, but to say that this compromised color reproduction and grain structure is taking things too far. I think the experimentations of the seventies directors of photography with, film flashing, film pushing, under/over exposing, new zoom lenses etc, contributed more to the distinct visual style of the seventies cinema than any deficiency in Kodaks stock.

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 10:04 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always noticed the downgrade in image quality in many films of the 60's & 70's. I tend to think it's due to too much experimenting; I'm sure filmmakers abused the inferior zoom lenses. But, for sure the filmstocks themselves literally paled in comparison to three-strip technicolor.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC