8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cure for VS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cure for VS
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 04:59 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried in vain to resurrect an original post of mine on this subject, but just wanted to update my findings.
Some months ago I experimented with a mixture of Camphor oil and powdered moth balls (Napthalene) applied to a 16mm film that was in the early stages of VS.
I have today cleaned off the application by using a cloth soaked with my own mixture of film cleaner while rewinding and there is no detectable vs smell, no strong smell of Camphor or Napthalene and no perceptible damage to the film. It just remains to see whether the treatment remains effective, but early indications are positive.
It was a film otherwise destined for the bin, so no downside whatsoever and hopefully a worthwhile experiment and a good result.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 16, 2018 05:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Here is a link to your original thread.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2018 06:55 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Doug. I tried that search in General Yak but it just came up 'no results' for me [Confused]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry ...

Pleae keep us informed as to whether the VS returns! I can't speak for others, but i certainly find it interesting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Experimented with baking soda and that also cured a 200' subject I had wanted to keep - Glad to see we're both in the same laboratory - Cheers, Shorty

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2018 10:35 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, curious to know if you are testing with A-D strips (as the nose can be deceiving - can get rid of the smell, but still have vinegar).

Looking forward to your findings!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2018 10:57 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think Terry is on the right track. Many years ago, I treated my collection of 9.5mm prints with "thermofilm" (supplied by the late Larry Pearce}, and then also added "humidifier" on a bit of blotting paper to the box or can containing the film None of the films treated have developed v.s. As Maurice stated in the earlier link, the humidifer a Kodak product, contained camphor oil. I have read that all acetate safety film will suffer from v.s.over time but the two worst factors that accelerate it are heat and moisture.
Keeping film in a cool dry place for long term storage helps a lot. We are quite fortunate here in the U.K having a temperate climate and it is not too difficult to keep our films within a suitable temperature range. I have also read that some of the film cleaners and scratch removal fluids used caused the film to develop v.s. quite quickly. We live and learn!!! Ken Finch.
[Razz]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2018 02:20 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been giving this topic a little further thought. I have a large collection of 9.5mm Pathescope prints acquired over the past 70 years and none of them have ever suffered from V.S. Some prints have become brittle but that is down to the fact that some of the film stock used for printing in the 1940's was "Newsreel" and not intended for long term use. Could the lack of V.S. be due to the fact that Pathe manufactured the film stocks. Incidentally I have not had any 9.5mm reversal stock I have used be it Kodak, Agfa, Gevaert, Ferrania or Fuji, suffer from colour fade or V.S. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC