8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Train blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Train blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 23, 2018 06:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks if you like trains then this 1964 film is a must. The Blu-ray arrived from amazon.uk and is region "B", running this movie through the Epson VP last night looked great.

"The Train" is presented in its original B/W aspect ratio 1.66:1 with a Uncompressed mono sound. The High Definition master of "The Train" was produced by MGM and made available for this release through Hollywood Classics. Additional picture restoration was performed under Arrow Films' supervision at Deluxe Restoration, London.

The end result is really good. Included in the blu-ray are many special edition extras, plus a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork..

Also included is a very interesting collectors booklet.

Arrow Films have done a really nice job of this 133 minute 1964 release of "The Train", starring Burt Lancaster and as such I would highly recommend it. [Cool]
 -

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome film! I would recommend everyone see it. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2018 09:19 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might have to get this one. Interesting background story, when they were over running on filming some of the actors had other commitments for films, so they had them shot to write them out.

And just love those train wrecks.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2018 06:31 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in the theatre when first released. Excellent film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a very good film! One of Lancasters better roles of the 60's!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Colin Fish
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2018 01:05 PM      Profile for Colin Fish   Email Colin Fish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if available on 16mm

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2018 03:46 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 2 prints of this on 16mm still got one both stunning sold one for 450 to a guy in America fantastic film

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 25, 2018 06:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes "Four hundred and fifty" [Eek!] ...the Blu-ray was only 12.49 [Smile]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2018 04:42 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes dvd are a hoarders market and film is the reel thing and collectable

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 28, 2018 12:08 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To pay Four Hundred and Fifty...you would have to be.....

https://youtu.be/D1TC1n9lhXU

[Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2018 03:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this and all your excellent DVD / Bluray reviews on here Graham - I will buy The Train on Bluray myself if it comes up for sale here at CEX or on Ebay as I try to buy used digital media only.

Kevin

UPDATED: Just bought one online from CEX UK - £7.50 including postage - they have some more if anyone else wants one:

https://uk.webuy.com/ and search for The Train BR

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2018 03:20 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
graham your you tube link sends you to fiddler on the roof what connection does that have with the train

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2018 04:00 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The clip is "If I were a Rich Man" and refers to what you would had to be to buy that print for 450.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2018 05:02 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
graham your you tube link sends you to fiddler on the roof what connection does that have with the train

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2018 05:48 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be the song?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 28, 2018 01:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure is [Smile]

Its a bit unfair to refer to folk that collect DVD or Blu-ray as "hoarders", as not everyone can afford or even justify the cost of buying expensive prints.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USA region "A" Bluray has been out for a while now. My question is, does this new Region "B" bluray have the extra scene that was not in any of the original USA release 35mm prints, or any of the USA dvd/bluray releases?

The scene I am referring to is when the train stops overnight in a French village, the German general wandering the town that night comes across a church where a choir practice is taking place. Missing from all the American versions of the film is that while in the church, he notices an old framed oil painting on the wall, and has a brief conversation with the priest about it. He then say's good night to the priest and leaves to a fade out. In both versions of the film, the next morning we see him drive up to the train with that painting in his jeep, but in the American version of the film, you don't know where the painting came from.

Sony/Columbia struck new 35mm prints of the film around 5 years ago, and that scene is now in the film. The DVD and Bluray came out after those new prints were struck, but do not have that brief scene showing the painting in the church.

So, is it or isn't it in the new region "B" bluray?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 29, 2018 02:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mitchell

Cant remember seeing any of that last week in the region "B" Blu-ray when the train stops in the French village.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2018 03:13 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those in the U.K. this is being screened on Film4 on Tuesday 3rd July at 4.05p.m. They're usually pretty good prints so I've sent my machine. Now that's even cheaper than blu-ray!!

--------------------
Dave

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed 35mm prints of this in the past.
Usually they were presented as one of our monthly " For One Day Only Sunday " shows at a cinema i was employed in.

I have it on DVD but will now upgrade to the Blu-Ray transfer now. Thanks for your post Graham . [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC