8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Oh...Rosalinda!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh...Rosalinda!!
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 28, 2019 03:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On 25 October 2018 I posted a new topic "Loving The Classics". This was a company who sold old classic films on DVDs. I had ordered Powell & Pressburger's "Oh...Rosalinda!!". After paying by credit card I did not receive any more responses. Nor the DVD. Members said there had been numerous complaints about this company. I couldn't get a refund as the sale was under the required amount.

Always hopeful, a few weeks ago I found "Movie Detective.net" who were advertising the DVD for US $10, plus US $12 for postage by International Express Airmail. My payment was made via PayPal who do offer some form of payment guarantee. My order was sent on 8th March, The DVD-R was posted on 23rd March and I received it on 27th March. No VAT or duties were payable.

It arrived in a sleeve with no artwork whatsoever. The copy is quite reasonable and appears to have been recorded from a Channel 4 transmission in December 1998.

https://www.moviedetective.net/

BUT. Here's the rub. As there was no artwork I "Googled" to find a poster or something to make up material for an inset in a DVD jewel case. I was astonished to find an ad from "Simply Home Entertainment" saying that they would be issuing the DVD in the UK on 13th May for £10.99.

"Oh...Rosalinda!!" might be the only Powell & Pressburger Archers film not previously commercially available on DVD. It might not be to everyone's taste. An updated version of Strauss' "Die Fledermaus" made in 'scope and Technicolor in 1955. It stars Anton Walbrook, Michael Redgrave, Dennis Price, Mel Ferrer and Anthony Quayle.

I believe that Michael Powell thought little of it, and no doubt, so did the ABC circuit who played it in a double bill. Had the "The Red Shoes" been forgotten already? There is good music, good singing (some dubbed), good dancing, good sets, colourful costumes and a degree of comedy.

Perhaps Michael Powell was wrong in partially disowning it. I leave it to others for their thoughts. But I loved it!

https://www.simplyhe.com/products/oh-rosalinda-michael-redgrave-dvd?source=awin&awc=2506_1553681465_46c73f5ec07a9958bc9f564920b6f8d9

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2019 11:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At long last, after a delay, Network have now released "Oh...Rosalinda!!" on DVD and also Blu-ray, and my DVD copy has arrived.

The sleeve says that the film is presented as a restoration from the original negative elements in its original CinemaScope ratio.

I can say that the colour is outstanding and the sound is Dolby Digital, however, the aspect ratio is not true 'scope, it's more wide-screen as the ends of the picture are slightly cropped, only noticeable on some titles.

It shows just how marvellous some Technicolor photography can be. This is a film that I can thoroughly recommend.

Amazon are offering both versions.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oh-Rosalinda-DVD-Mi chael-Redgrave/dp/B07T1G32C1/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1565970467&sr=1-1

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC