8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your Favorite "Surround Sound" moment ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Favorite "Surround Sound" moment ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I think that this might actually be a first ever time post from me on a subject, (a rarity for me, to be sure ...)

What is you're favorite "surround sound" moment? I mean, one that really shows off surround sound elements in a film, whether at the movie theater or in you're own home theater?

My pick is one of my favorite films to test it out on, to this very day, is the Steven Speilberg film, "Always", 1990 (remember that one? Audrey Hepburn's last film). I have a "Realistic" old school Dolby unit, manufactured for home theater that uses the old 4 channel stereo, and no 'dedicated' seperate channels, so to speak.

The opening shot has two people, fishing in a boat and apparantly, they have fallen asleep. A fire-fighting plane, far in background, swoops down on the lake to gather water for fire fighting. As the plane nears the men, they wake up, see the plane and attempt to start the engine, which is a no go. When the plane comes right up to them, they dive into the water, and the plane has taken off, narrowing missing the boat ...

well, when the plane takes off, it literally flies off of the screen, right above you, and the surround has the now "unseen' plane roar over you and far behind you! it is an absolutely splendid use of surround!

What is you're favorite moment that really captured you're attention and made you go, "WOW!"?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 25, 2019 12:20 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one Osi.

Mine is from Back to the Future II, beginning of the film (essentially the re-enactment of the final scene from the previous chapter). As the De Lorean appears in front of Marty's house, it speeds towards the camera, screeching to a halt, hitting a garbage can off screen, and you really ear it fly behind you.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 25, 2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the Vietman scenes in Jacobs ladder with helicopters going all round the place from every direction.

Sat in the cinema way back then, we could not believe how it sounded, really put you there almost.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 26, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!

The thing that really got me about that roar, is that it wasn't a short bit of surround, but a long drawn out, echoing roar!

If anyone has that film (kind of rare now), listen to it with the surround, you'll love it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic, Osi!

As a kid of 11, I remember seeing Star Trek II in 6 track Dolby magnetic.

The sound of the ships thundering overhead before appearing on screen... Also I leapt at a tense moment later when I though something fell behind me, only to see the actors react to it on screen.

It was a revelation.

Even with Dolby Digital at home, I've never been able to recreate that sense of sound stage and wonder.

Recently, for fun and just to see how stable it was, I ran Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom using BBC iplayer into my home cinema system.

The picture was OK, not Blu-ray by any means, but what surprised me was the basic stereo / matrix Dolby surround mix which was awesome...rich and engaging. Strangely much less clinical than the Dolby Digital discrete mix and much more how I remembered this one as a kid too.

But Star Trek II at the Odeon in Glasgow as an 11 year old kid changed my perception of cinema sound forever.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 27, 2019 04:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago but my favourite memory was dubbing the 400ft super 8 of Star Wars and managing to get a super 8 projector to trigger a Pro Logic rig. Used a Hi-Fi Panasonic VCR and the good old GS800 which was new at the time.
Was projectionist at a film festival back then showing 8 and 16mm on a massive screen and we projected that to show just how good 8mm stereo could be when recorded well.
Those were indeed the golden days.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2019 03:02 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure when watching "A Bridge Too Far" in a local cinema some planes flew overhead and appeared on screen as the sound followed. I hadn't known the cinema was equipped for magnetic stereo, this being 1977. Unfortunately they were not equipped whit Dolby stereo for Star Wars when that came out.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2019 10:20 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is my print of Aliens! The stereo is just excellent! Lots of sound separation that jumps from speaker to speaker! Very well recorded! I ran this film through my stereo system! Its just great! Theatre sound Quality!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another moment that I always remember was the T-Rex in Jurassic Park.

It's the scene where it attacks the cars at night and emits a shuddering, terrifying roar / scream.

It sent shudders down my spine.

What I realised later was that this was the first movie I heard using DTS sound.

I actually wasn't aware of DTS at that point, assuming it was Dolby Digital, but you know when something just seems extra special...

Oh, and the opening of "Contact", where the camera pulls back from Earth and you hear the radio transmissions swooping past. Again, never quite got that same feeling at home, despite what equipment I tried.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2019 04:15 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like a well recorded stereo sound film! The sound will be great!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2019 02:27 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1975/76 visiting a 1200 seat cinema with only 7 other people in it and listening to the completely immersive booming sound track to the film I was watching......the rock opera Tommy!

Elton, Tina, Eric and Roger never sounded better.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC