8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Bolex G916

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex G916
Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 05:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Just bought a bolex g916 (9.5/16mm) on eBay to add to my collection. Not used one of these before, so does anyone have any knowledge of them and could give me any tips?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
this website is useful:
http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/model-g.html

--------------------
Paul.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was very expensive compared to the Specto and 200B Plus in its day and like most machines had its problems particularly when projecting 9.5mm films. The late Gerald McKees book "Classic Home Cinema Projectors" has more details about this, and of course many other projectors manufactured up to about 1950. The best dual gauge machines for 9.5mm appear to be th Specto and 200B Plus. Some of the latter ones produced just after the war had 3 bladed shutters. Ken Finch.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 02:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
In case you haven't got Gerald McKee's book mentioned by Ken, it says that the Bolex G series has a tendency to pierce shrunken 9.5mm prints when out of "sync" with the claw as the claw is not sprung in the same way as the Specto. The Bolex also turns the spools in a conventional 16mm clockwise direction so the emulsion is out on the take-up spool and increasing problems with old prints.

--------------------
Paul.

Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 03:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the book suggestion Ken, I will hunt that one out.

Paul, thanks for the web address and the advice on the bolex, they all seem to have their problems don't they. Will keep an eye on its performance.

Andy

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 16, 2015 04:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
Here's the book on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Cinema-Classic-Movie-Projectors/dp/0951590502

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 05:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice,

Its now been ordered.

Andy

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 08:03 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Andrew that book seems to be very expensive. There must be cheaper copies around. Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 08:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The copy on sale for 150 £ is a unique collectible one. I don't think it is the one Andrew bought as it is still on the site.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was one copy for £9.99 which I snapped up.

Andy

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2015 12:37 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Andrew well done. That was a good price. Ken Finch.

Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2015 02:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Makes it even more of a bargain when I already had a £10 amazon voucher!

Thanks everyone for your advice

Andy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC