8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Roger D. Spence R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roger D. Spence R.I.P.
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 25, 2015 10:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Spence, a former President of Group 9.5, sadly passed away in late March of this year, aged 78. Roger was an avid 9.5 fan and had made many prize-winning films. He had a large collection of 9.5 films, mainly sound, for which he imported a Ligonie converted Eiki from France.

It's even more sad for me to write this as I visited him at his home in Aberford, near Leeds, only a month before his death to purchase his collection of 9.5mm films and his converted Eiki. Due to his stroke it was rather difficult to communicate with him but his wife, Mavis, was a great help.

I loaded up my car and said to him that he must be sad to see his beloved items being carried away. I told him. however, that he could be assured that it was all going to a loving home.

Unfortunately, the SNT3 needed good professional attention. This has now been carried out by my engineer, and I look forward to its return.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 25, 2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always nice when a collection falls in good hands.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:52 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very sad. First I've heard of this news. I'm sure there will be a dedicated obituary in the next 9.5 Group magazine.
Tell me Maurice - how does the French conversion compare with the Buckingham 9.5? Or is it too early to tell.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 03:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The obituary is in the latest issue of 9.5 number 162 (Summer 2015.)

The Slimline Eiki was the only model then available new for conversion. The auto thread model (as mine is) is not entirely suited for manual threading. With great care with the leader it will auto-thread, but the film may then get caught on the magnetic head.

The SNT3 has a forward opening gate controlled by the auto-thread mechanism, therefore, it is not possible (as with the Buckinghams) to remove the mechanism. Without the auto-thread there is no way to open the gate.

So, on comparison, the Buckingham wins with its ability for manual threading and its swing-open gate.

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 05:10 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news this but Roger never fully recovered since he has his stroke a few years ago and stopped coming to all Group 9.5 events. I found out he had died a few months ago. I remember his Eiki conversion well as he used to bring it to Chiswick and more. I think he paid over £2000 for it when new and I think it had one big bonus over the Buckingham in that it had Magnetic Record.

Roger was probably the best 9.5 filmmaker in the UK. His films were outstanding particularly the films he made in Kruger national park and Roger won many awards at the various 9.5mm competitions.

Maurice I'm glad you have bought all his films and his projector as you appreatite them. Much better than it going to a dealer.

Graham S

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
Thank you for your kind words, yes, the SNT3 also has magnetic record which I understand Roger used with his film making.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 01:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sure had some fun I can tell you.
Funny enough I have been editing another 9.5mm epic I filmed with Roger along at the time probably the last time he was out filming prior to the terrible strokes. Once he was pretty much house bound a couple of us used travel over and project some films for him which he enjoyed and we still had some fun.
Decades of memories spending time in his company..

The picture is from the 9.5mm Film Festival when I won the award with my Dracula film. Dear Rog presented the award.
 -

[ June 30, 2015, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice photo Lee. Thanks for posting.

But I think this photo is from Scarborough in 2006.

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 30, 2015 12:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be age!
A memorable fest arranged by Rog as well and what fond memories.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 04:02 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear the loss of yet another of our Group 9.5 stalwarts. There is also an obituary in the latest issue of the I.A.C. "Film and Video Maker". Roger was a member of the I.A.C and an active member of Wakefield Movie Makers. He made award winning films on Super 8 as well as 9.5mm. He was passionate about 9.5mm and his 9.5mm productions reflected this. I, as well as many others will miss his passing. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC