8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathescpe Blue Boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescpe Blue Boxes
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2015 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As members know, I have recently returned to collecting 9.5mm. It is a joy to find a film still in its Pathescope round blue cardboard box.

However, I have now discovered that some boxes are in three pieces, and some are just two pieces, (i.e., the bottom and its lid.) The three-piece boxes comprise a bottom, top, and a round supporting ring.

The three-piece boxes appear to be older than the two-piece boxes.

Does anyone know when the change-over occurred? Was it cheaper to produce a two-piece box, or were they more robust?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2015 08:05 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Maurice, I do not know the answer to this one. However, looking at the ones I have in my collection, the 2 piece ones have "printed in France" on the title label, and the 3 piece ones have "Film printed in England" on the title label. This suggests to me that the 2 piece ones may be earlier and supplied to Pathescope before the film printing equipment was up and running in England. This may have been in 1935 when they moved to Cricklewood from their original premises in Lisle St. London and their showroom in Marlborough Street. This is pure speculation as it is a little before my time! I doubt whether the Lisle St premises were big enough for their offices, printing equipment and film processing labs. Does anyone know where films were sent for processing prior to 1935? This will give a clue. All I do know is that they were returned in those little 30ft metal cassettes. Hope this is of some help. ken Finch. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting thoughts, Ken, however, I have in front of me two blue boxes, both of which say "Film printed in England".
However, SB/800 (It's A Gift) is in a three-piece box, and SB/20058 (Further Adventure of the Flag Lieutenant) is in two-piece boxes.
On the three-piece box the lid and the base are each the same height whilst the lid on the two-piece box covers the whole of the bottom piece.

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Maurice, I guess it remains a mystery!! Perhaps the answer is that they had the boxes made by two different suppliers. Like most companies they probably "contracted out" for the packaging. Perhaps 1 English and 1 French. The labels being put on afterwards. What I do know is that the earliest packaging for the 300ft notched titled silents was a square corrugated card box in 2 halves fitted inside an second square box and secured with a piece of black elastic (knicker elastic!) One of the endearing charms of 9.5mm is its eccentricities! Ken Finch. [Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mainly see British boxes in cardboard boxes. Many French films are in metallic cans. Were there also many pathescope mettalic cans ?

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC