8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Maurice Trace's silent guides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maurice Trace's silent guides
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2015 02:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently spoke about the sound guide published by Maurice Trace. I have now bought two silent guides from Maurice. They are printed on single sided A4 paper and are in folders with metal securing clips.

"A Guide to Pathescope 9.5mm Silent Non-Fiction films" is almost 2" thick and contains 795 entries with twelve appendices.

"A Guide to Pathescope 9.5mm Silent Dramas, Thrillers, Adventures & Westerns" is 1" thick with four appendices.

The first mentioned may be of more interest to collectors of the small black metal cassettes as they seem to be pre-dominate. It appears that hundreds of these were produced. Longer films are also included.

The second is very useful as it contains also the titles of the foreign films which were used for British issues. All titles are in alphabetical order with foreign origins mentioned twice, (foreign/english.)

Both are exhaustively researched and I can recommend them wholeheartedly.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2015 07:09 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a shame Maurice dosent offer all his guides as a pdf file. Although nicely printed and excellent value, the size of them puts me off as I need more space.

Graham S

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 03:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true that the Guides are large to handle as they are A4 size, but Maurice's work is not just a list of titles, there is a lot of very interesting reading with information on each film gleaned from many sources.

It's the thing to go through whilst sitting in a comfortable lounge chair in front of the fire and get lost in the wonderful world of 9.5 films. It's not the thing to read sitting in front of a computer, unless, of course, you are looking for a specific film.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 04:39 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, Maurice. It is definitely better to have a print support. What's more, it is so easy to send pdf files for free between collectors without any respect for the hard work that has been done and deserve to be rewarded.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has taken Maurice Trace many years of research, almost a lifetime, to compile these highly detailed lists of films. Most of which no longer exist on any other gauge or format. To put it on a PDF file would to my mind, belittle all the effort he has put into these projects. I have one of his earlier versions of the drama and adventure catalogue, purchased from him many years ago and it is much smaller than the one Maurice has. This shows how doggedly he has continued to find the origins of those elusive little films. Ken Finch. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC