8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Light Prints From Pathescope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Light Prints From Pathescope
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 01:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been checking a new print on the rewind before projection and was surprised that it was printed very lightly. Much lighter than any corresponding 16mm print.
It's a two-reeler SB/755 "The Three Cuckoo Clocks" (1926) which was released on 9.5 by Pathescope in 1933
I assume it was printed in such a manner for use on Pathescope projectors of the day which only had low wattage lamps. No doubt the density was able to give quite a large and acceptable picture.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original adverts for the Pathescope 200B boasted a " a bright picture up to 6ft wide easily achievable" As most are aware the lamp wattage was 200. Maybe the films were printed at a lighter density in those days but the contrast range was still good. Blacks were black and not dark grey or muddy looking. It could be that the original print used was lighter. I will have to look at my copy, I think I may still have it in my collection. Many of the early 16mm silent projectors also had low wattage lamps. The BTH SRB Sound projector lamp was 300 watts, and the GB L516, 500watts, the GB H16 even lower. Ken Finch.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC