8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » new 9,5 reels in production

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new 9,5 reels in production
Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2016 07:44 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Our first 3D printed film reels are now on sale. This is a reel, which allows to scan 9,5mm films on a filmscanner which has no connectors for the normal 9,5mm reels.

-

-

See for more information:
http://shop.van-eck.net/?_globalsearch=pp-0149

====

Film reel 9,5mm - 120m - with a 16mm core (for e.g. Muller film scanners)

Special reel to scan 9.5 mm films on film scanners with reel holders for 16mm

- for 9,5mm films
- for 120 meter film
- with core for 16mm film holders
- strong and solid reel

Before placing this reel on the filmscanner, the 9,5mm film on a normal 9,5mm reel needs to be transferred to this reel.

diameter reel: 17 cm
thickness inside: 10 mm
thickness outside: 14mm

weight: 78 grams

Design by 3dformadesign.nl
Made in the Netherlands

==============

We have designed it in a modular fashion, I.e. we can easily change the core to allow for 8mm,9,5mm, 16mm versions.

If you require any other reels, please let me know, and we will look into the possibilities to produce these.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 20, 2016 10:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At €59.95 it is a bit pricey.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Edwin but I have to agree with Maurice - equates to £48 toooo expensive!

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2016 01:52 PM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indead the initial price is high. The price will go down in time. Also this price is based on a production batch of 1 item.
The 2 big plates in the product are expensive, because of it's size and 3D printing technology.

It there is demand for reels, we can use other production techniques as well (e.g. combination of 3D printing and old fashined moulding, laser-cutting etc) to get the price down.

On the other hand, if you have a $40K filmscanner and can not scan 9,5mm films because the 9,5mm reels do not fit on it, you have for less the $0.1K the possibily to also scan 9,5mm films now.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 20, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember which projector it is but I know that a dual 16m/9,5 uses 16 mm core spools with a 9,5 width. I hope that in the future 9,5 spools may be manufactured at reasonable cost. Julio, the Spanish manufacturer is, as said before, moving to another business so it would be great to have a new source. The price is of course an important factor that decide people to buy or not. It is impossible to produce new items at second hand prices but the hobby must remain affordable (or be it again in some cases). That will be the big challenge of the near future, especially with filmstock.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC