8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Film breakage across sprocket holes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film breakage across sprocket holes
Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2016 10:15 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Sills comment int the "Keeping the film most" topic is in my experience only partly correct in as much that the GEM and SON in particular are notorious for damaging film in the way he explained because of sharp bends in the film. However, the main culprit of brittle film was the film stock used by Pathescope during the war.
They used Newsreel stock, instead of the normal printing stocks, because supply was limited. Newsreel stock was not intended to be long lasting and it appears one of the processes used to keep the base stable was omitted. Hence, in time it became brittle if not treated with preservatives we tend to use today. Unfortunately most of us were unaware of this at the time and when we were, it was often too late. There were also, as with the other gauges, people who never looked after their films or equipment!! Ken Finch. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC