8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5mm reaches the edge of the world

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm reaches the edge of the world
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 02:12 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up a few reels of 9.5mm from eBay. One of them was in its original box, and was stamped R W Bayes Films and Equipment, Sellafirth, Lerwick, Shetland. It was sort of amazing to think of these films being once bought by someone in a place we think of as so remote - I wonder when they would have got mains electricity up there.

(OK, I know The Edge of the World really refers to an island on the opposite side of Scotland, but still.)

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1954 (First Edition) Pathescope Film Catalogue lists Bayes Film & Equipments as having 9.5mm sound and silent libraries, together with a postal service for the libraries.
Looking at its position on a map it appears that most of its business was postal!

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, Pathé Baby manufactured a projector that used a dynamo to use in area without electricity (mainly in Africa). Sadly, I have no picture of such a machine (I saw one at Argenteuil some years ago) but you can see one on this result page, this is the first one on the top, left side (It is useless to click on it as it leads to a deleted page): https://fr.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2i1PztXKWAA4sBjAQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=pathe+baby+dynamo&fr=yfp-t-203&fr2=pi v-web ; this page gives a bigger picture but without the crank : http://www.cinematheque.fr/fr/catalogues/appareils/collection/projecteur-de-film-9-5-mmap-98-2118.html

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 11:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click below
http://www.neret-tessier.com/html/fiche.jsp?id=4267756&np=10&lng=fr&npp=20&ordre=1&aff=1&r=

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 11:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good link, Maurice ! Thanks.

--------------------
Dominique

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Dominique, though presumably this company can't have relied solely on owners of these very rare machines. Being a postal library therefore makes sense thanks to Maurice's post. I just love the idea of such a remote film library, so far from any major town!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC