X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metropolis £ 5.000

No comment…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-5mm-Fil...wAAOSwMD5a9X-M

Yes. He puts that up from time to time. I've read somewhere that he really doesn't want to sell it but will if anyone is silly enough to pay that price.

Comment

Its not even that rare !!! they are about.

You can also get that version on std 8 Perry`s out out from the 9.5 for about £15/20. It has a few odd scenes not in the collectors club std 8 longer version.

Best Mark.

Comment

There's someone else who thinks he's onto a good thing - 'Cheap at half the price' as the old Cockney traders saying goes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metropoli...YAAOSwUMBb-WCJ

Comment

All of what he sells seems to be over the top as regarding a price.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/film95com...p2047675.l2562

Maurice

Comment

By the way folks I picked up this blu-ray release for only $10 that's about 5 pound just the other day and it comes with a little booklet. The picture and sound quality is really outstanding so if anyone is serious about watching Metroplis this is one to go for Click image for larger version

Name:	Metropolis.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1545

Comment

I would certainly never pay £ 5.000 or £ 2.500 for a 9.5 version of Metropolis but I'm not interested neither in a Blu Ray version 😉

Comment

I am going to under cut both these sellers. I will sell my copy for £ 2,499.00 . Plus FREE POSTAGE . Now there's a bargain for you .

Comment

I forgot to mention folks this but the blu-ray has included 25 minutes of "new" painstakingly restored footage that was discovered in Buenos Aires Argentina from a scratched 16mm print in 2008. This extra footage adds much to the flow of the film itself, and now takes the running time up to 150 minutes, for those interested in a more complete form of Fritz Lang "Metropolis" plus a new recording of Gottfried Huppertz's original 1927 score, this is the one to go for at a fraction of the silly price asked for an edited 9.5 mm release, and enjoy the movie as the director originally intended.

Comment

Must be 16mm prints of METROPOLIS about...

Comment

I wonder why these adverts keeps repeating!! I have noted a number of 9.5mm Pathescope prints very much overpriced on Ebay. On a personal note, I have a VHS of "Metropolis" issued by "Eureka" 1992. which runs for 139 mins. but it seems a bit ponderous to me and prefer the 9.5mm edited version in my collection. It is very well edited and contains most of the main plot. When it was first shown in 1927 it was a box office flop. Perhaps that is why some scenes were cut out . I would also suggest that restoration of missing scenes must be to a certain extent guesswork unless there is an original print or negative, which is hardly likely unless Fritz Lang ever provided any information before he died. Ken Finch.

Comment

Hi Ken, I used to have that Eureka VHS. The reason they got that running time was that they ran the film was incredibly slow, seemed like 12 fps - that's why it seemed ponderous! The film is supposed to run at 24 fps. The restoration is indeed outstanding, but is not based on conjecture. Not only was the Argentinian print complete, so they were able to compare it to the existing restoration, but also they had the original score to work from, which included enough information for them to already know which scenes had been missing. The original score in outstanding.

The 9.5mm version is well worth having though, and is probably the best of the abbreviated versions. The 16mm prints I've seen over the years aren't great quality, unlike the 9.5mm prints.

But almost all of these shorter versions change the plot. The infamous Giorgio Moroder rock version in 1984, and the final two restorations, restore the correct original plot, where the robot is actually created as a replacement for the woman who Rotwang was in love with. When I saw the restoration, I was knocked out to finally be seeing these long lost scenes after so many years. In the abbreviated versions, when we first meet Rotwang, arguing with Fredersen, they are in front of a black curtain, for reasons that aren't clear. That curtain conceals a vast statue of the long lost woman - the real reason that drives the plot is sexual jealousy between Rotwang and Fredersen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05metropolis_CA0-popup.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1871

Comment

Chris Bird's experience with seeing Metropolis at a very slow FPS rate got me wondering, what is the "correct" FPS? This has been a point of discussion for some time. As it turns out the FPS rate has been all over the place. Chris' 12 FPS seems low, and 24 FPS struck me has too fast. In his article Glen Erickson, Metropolis and the Frame Rate Issue notes that it has be shown as fast as 28 FPS. Here is one of the comments:

Hi Glenn. Metropolis was planned from the start to be shown at around 26 fps. As fast as that might seem, that was the speed. It was written into the original script by Gottfried Huppertz in creative meetings before filming actually began. And one must remember that it was Lang who hired Huppertz, not UFA and not Parufamet. If Lang wanted the film to be projected at a slower speed, he would have instructed Huppertz to write the music accordingly, as is the case in the earlier Die Nibelungen where the speed was around 20 fps. In the latest restored version that premiered a few days ago in Berlin, Part One runs at 20 fps and Part 2 at 22 fps. Lang eventually premiered the film as he wanted, and that is also the way the film was shown in Austria and The Netherlands.

Parufamet's involvement was to restrict the showing of Metropolis to one single theater, insuring its failure. When the film was rereleased in August 1927, it was shortened by a quarter and had some inter-titles changed. It was sped up even more to 28 fps, and most of Gottfried Huppertz' score was replaced with stock pieces of music.

I tested the 'seconds' in the 10-hour clock a long time ago. They are not of equal length: the dials were moved by hand and so mean nothing. We also have no idea if they are supposed to represent real seconds at all. -- Aitam

The full article is at:: https://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3200frame.html

Comment

I have now seen the latest version. It was an amazing film for its time. Especially the "special effects" and sets. I still think its ponderous though !! Ken Finch.

Comment

Agreed but we love it :-) Used to have the 9-5 tinted print until someone's need was greater than mine about 5 reels I seem to remember. Turn the clock forward 20 year and picked up the BR in the HMV store clear-out new year bin for £7.99. The 1927 orchestra score is really quite wonderful and something else but I do miss the thrill of running the 9-5 film. Pal of mine has a 16mm film with sort of 60's music and yes they are quite soft.

Comment

Working...
                              X