No announcement yet.

How did you get into 9-5? Our stories..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get into 9-5? Our stories..

My story..
    My late father was a keen 9.5 enthusiast as a boy and still projecting them in his 80's God less him. He formed a small but keen film group in the 50's where all films were made on 9.5 films and during the 50's they achieved probably the only Polarised 3D film to be shot on the gauge using two cine camera locked together by a mechanical cable. The film was later projected onto a 5ft screen using two Specto projector also speed locked by a flexi cable and it all worked. Quite a enthusiastic group of 9.5 film makers.
    Father also obtained a 17.5mm sound projector in the 30's and had a little mobile cinema showing films around the villages of Kent which proved popular. During the war he was contacted and asked if he would project public information films around Kent which I suspect everyone soon learned to make Brickets and the like amongst other wartime safety information. He had a problem that his projector was of course 17.5mm but they paid for it to be converted to 16mm which then meant he had a leap to 16mm and more choice of films. The conversion was not that successful by Pathescope and so he soon moved to a Bell & Howell sometime after the war.

Needless to say I picked up the 9-5 bug!
    I did start with Regular 8mm as a boy in the late 60's projecting those wonderful silent but then a few years later went to my first 9.5 convention in the UK buying a few films and also a Pathescope Gem projector then a Son sound projector which I set about upgrading. I loved that Son projector and with care it worked quite well giving many sound shows with it here and at local youth groups at Christmas time. I remember the first time I projected Dizzy Divers a Popeye on it and the children were mesmerised by the animation in it saying can we watch it again at the end. Memorable.

It wasn't long that I was presented with a Pathe Lido cine camera and I started filming myself partnering my Super 8 film making although 9-5 colour film at times was hard to obtain.

In my 9.5mm heyday we used to give film nights here fairly regularly having two Vox sound projectors set up showing our own efforts in film making and sound printed films. Sadly many of our audience have passed on but we still have our 9.5 Northern Group and we shall be in evidence at the 2020 9.5 Film Festival at Bradford UK next year.

A few years ago I purchased a slimline Eiki 9-5 projector which was part converted to the gauge from 16 so finished the job and this was my final upgrade although I still prefer the Pathe Vox which is much kinder to vintage film prints with a slower claw pull down and simpler film path. My best Vox has a modern 25 watt amplifier in it, a 150 watt lamp which is ample for home use also a Bolex lens.

I would encourage all cine film fans to get into 9.5 as it is a nice slice of film history and well basically I just love it!

My first introduction to 9,5mm was at the age of 14. I was at a friends house after school one day and he brought out this little hand-cranked projector, which I later learned was a Pathescope Ace, and started showing these short little films on a tabletop 30 ins glass beaded screen. I was amazed and immediately hooked on this wonderful device. Bear in mind that at that time, at least in the UK, there was virtually no television in the homes, and being able to see moving pictures of your choice at home seemed amazing, Well after this I managed to get hold of a 35mm hand cranked projector powered by a dim light bulb. I scrounged around at the local cinema who supplied me with a few feet of 35mm cast off film. This was not very satisfying as you could barely see the picture, and there was no shutter on the projector, which had a maltese -cross , and the picture was mostly a blur. But it only increased my desire to get a proper 9,5mm projector and I saved up over many months to eventually purchase my first 'Ace' projector. Soon I was able to buy a few of the 30ft and 60ft Pathescope reels, enough to join together on a 300ft reel. My first film purchase was the 60ft Pathescope Northwest Justice which I found endlessly fascinating. When I was about 16 I got a weekend job in a garage, which brought in the princely sum of 10/- for 2 days work! But this was enough for me to be able to afford weekend rentals of classic 9,5mm reels from Salansons photo shop in Cardiff. I started having weekly shows of films like White Hell Of Pitz Palu, The Informer, Blackmail, and many other wonderful titles from the Pathescope library. In an age of no television they were all a huge hit.
    Pretty soon I got a little tired of hand cranking all these 300 ft reels and decided that I had to have a motorized projector. I really wanted a Specto, but it was way out of reach for a schoolboy, so I sold the Ace and bought a Dekko, which seemed like a great projector and also had the advantage of a 2-sprocket drive What a huge mistake! The Dekko was hopelessly dim, even with a 50watt bulb, compared with the Ace, and the lens was like a marble, with very soft focus. So even though I could now sit back in an arm chair and watch the films, it was a very unsatisfying experience. The little Ace was a far better performer!

About 15 years ago my daughter gave me a beautiful Pathe Baby projector for Christmas, complete with 300ft extension arms and a motor. This got me interested once more in 9,5mm and I was soon projecting all those short films again!

9,5mm Dekko Projector
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dekko 9.5mm upload.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.8 KB ID:	1009
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; December 14, 2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Aged about 8yrs I f'ound a Pathe 200B in a huge walk-in loft at the house we were living in at the time 'early 1950's'. There were a few films - A clip from 'Our Relations' L&H and Marvels of The Amazon. From that time I was hooked. 9.5 has been my first love ever since. Our family lived in a small Buckinghamshire village and from time to time a local entrepeneur gave film shows in the village hall ( mainly aimed at the younger population) and I spent more time looking at the working 16mm projectors than watching the film show. Obviously at the time I was limited to using the 200B but the seed was sown the bug and has never left me. Give me film over DVD or other formats any day of the week. I never go to the Cinemas these days - just not the same as when real projectors were used and the ambience of the grand old auditoriums is no longer. Multi screen cinemas are dire in my view. The passing of a grand old age that I think will never return. Shame.

Comment

Terry, It seem's like Buckinghamshire was a haven for 9,5mm enthusiasts at one time! Am I right in saying that Gerald McGee, John Burgoin Johnson, and Toney Raypeurt (Buck's Films) all lived near Buckingham?

Comment

https://imgur.com/a/3A3CDju

Comment

Christmas 1946, aged 12. A hand-turned Hunter (Bingoscope.)
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphs...son/5164242499

Maurice

Comment

The curse on my 9.5 career is that I have never been able to produce something in this format. As a professional projectionist who had worked in fifteen cinemas over the span of twenty years I wouldn’t touch one roll of it, either. Then came the adventure with the lab I opened in Basel in 1999. Now and then a projector rolled in for sale, there was always space for equipment in the shop window, accompanied by films. Some footage is still with me, original scenes of Paris from the twenties and such.

A projector I owned was a Diksi Tfp., Tonfilmprojektor. For a period of time I thought that was a 16mm apparatus but one day I discovered that the claw can be shifted sideways. With the corresponding gate unit which I have never seen or read about one could screen ninefive with it.

Since 2014 I do service and repair on film kine products, having learnt the trade of the mechanician. Among the various cameras and projectors was a GIC 16 I had to work on for an English gentleman. Parallel to it I bought myself a GIC 9.5, there was also the GIC 8, in order to find out everything about them. A GIC 9.5 projector caught my attention and so I delved into that, too. A few months later came the Beaulieu R 9,5 in beautiful shape.

Sometimes I dream of having a Paillard-Bolex H-9 or a Facine 9,5. Yet, the problem is the lack of fresh raw stocks. I’d very much love to use print film, the most primitive sort of all, because of its fine granularity, low price, and easy developing. A good splicer and rewinds I have. To be able to shoot on Ektachrome in 9.5 seems to remain a distant hope.

Comment

I was introduced to 9.5mm at age 14 in 1949. A relative was a keen photographer and used to develop and print photos for our large extended family members. He had purchased a Pathescope ACE and gave a family film show at an aunts house where a large group of family members were invited. The films included "The Manxman" an early Hitchcock silent starring Carl Brisson, quite a "heartthrob" with some of the female adults of his generation, and the Snub Pollard "Its aGift". The antics of Snub and his "inventions" and car were so funny that one of my younger cousins wet herself laughing, much to her embarrassment and amusement of her peers! I the started saving up my pocket and paper round money. Went down to Wings, chemists and put down a deposit on an ACE which was put by for me until had paid the full amount of £5. 10s Purchased at the same time was the60ft Disney extract from "Mickeys Taxicab" "Jog Along Joyride". My Dad, an electrical and electronics engineer, added a motor to it. I later purchased my first camera a coronet and started making my own films and have remained a 9.5mm ever since, gradually trading up to better equipment over a period of years to the present day. My Cine Biography has been published in the Group 9.5 magazine, having been a member since it first started. Ken Finch.

Comment

I found out about 9.5mm in the Early 1990's, I First saw a Eumig 9.5mm Projector with a Pathe 9.5mm Camera advertised in the Melbourne Trading Post, I had never heard of 9.5mm it had to be Rare so I bought them, the Projector did'nt last Long, but I still have the Pathe Camera in good working order.

Then soon after I bought a Gold Pathe Gem from Jack Statford at the Australian Photographic Market held in Camberwell, Melbourne, it worked great but I later sold onto Film Plus in Punt Rd, Windsor, which needed a good working 9.5mm Projector for there Transfer Services.

I found out about Group 9.5 UK and Cine 9.5 France thru Mike Trickett of the Reel Deals Magazine and was able to get some 9.5mm Films thru the ads advertised in the Mag.

Amazingly I found out thru the "Federation of Australian Movie Makers" the First Movie Making Club in Australia was the Victorian Movie Makers in Fitzroy, first formed in 1920's with the beginning of 9.5mm Film, the Club later opened up to other Film Gauges, sadly the club closed down around 2005, and the Building was recently sold again for 3.7M see

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/c...operty-market/

Comment

Paul
                    Tony Raepert certainly lived in Buckingham and ran his shop Buckingham Films from there. I was quite a regular visitor to the shop which had a full size Kalee 35mm Cinema projector in the lobby. Sadly due to falling trade the shop closed and he now trades from his home in Milton Keynes, but he regularly has a stall at some meetings/venues selling a range of Cine film and equipment. His Eki/Elf Buckingham 9.5 conversions are still in great demand although he has long since finished that conversion service. I don't know about the other two guys you mentioned although I have heard their names.

Comment

Two weeks ago I got a small box of 9.5 with a 8mm purchase. 4 Pathéscope safety films.
                      30136 on with the show (I think)
                      ?3031 at the stage door
                      ???8? Rocket typhoons 60ft
                      All in 3 1/4" boxes (82mm)
                      Then one 170mm reel (6 3/4"). Which seems to begin with a horse race.
                      Curiosity being what it is means I could do with watching them...
                      Currently a Tri Gauge projector was in my scopes. Also TQ1 by B&H. The Tri Gauge is very tempting. The B&H would have lead to other purchases none would have helped with the 9.5 films I have. Not really wishing to stray from 8mm and working on impulse, I've delved into the world of 9.5mm with a Pathé Baby. Hand crank as I need the exercise.
                      Funny thing, it's a larger format film yet probaly one of the smallest projectors.

Comment

Back in the late 1970’s I was serving in the British army in Central America. We were passing through a village in the middle of the jungle and were offered some basic hospitality in the form of cold drinks and the local “hooch”. While talking to the head bloke, he mentioned the village generator was broken and could we have a look at it for them. Our powerman did whatever powermen do to broken generators and to the delight of all the villagers got it running. The upshot of this was an invite from the whole village to stay for “food and entertainment” Not being too sure what the entertainment was likely to be we agreed. We were taken to the area outside the main building and invited to sit down on the ground with the all the locals and the thousands of noisy insects. Imagine our surprise when an ancient looking film projector was set up and pointed at the wall of the building and a silent will hay film was shown to the whole village. I to this day have no idea what sort of 9.5 projector it was but it is a memory of a perfect night, sitting on the ground drinking local beer and eating cheese rolls watching old silent films while the locals howled with laughter, shouted comments and occasionally threw the odd cheese roll etc.. at the wall when the baddies appeared.

It was this night that decided me to sign up for
                        the Army 16 mm film projection course at Bicester later that year and started all this off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Smile.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	46826 Nick
                        Attached Files

Comment

John, Tony's business partner used to call at our film pad to buy stock to supply our southern ish 9-5 pals back in the day. Loved John a really nice guy and how we chatted. Golden times for me back in el day with very fond memories

Comment

I don't collect 9-5 mm films. I have been a faithful 8mm collector all my life but admiring the research that has been done for the format and the existence of so many titles solely on this format, I have acquired most of the literature available. A complete run of 9-5 magazine, the various Maurice Trace books, the big 9-5 encyclopedia, several catalogues and Pathecope monthlies etc etc.
                            Buckingham Film Services was founded and run by John Burgoyne Johnson and John Pendred. After Johnson's death,it was taken over by Pendred and Tony Reypert. After Pendred's death it remained in Reypert's hands. In later years it moved from Buckingham to Tony's home in Milton Keynes.

Comment

I started on 9.5 out of pure ignorance. An uncle gave me a toy 35mm projector with small rolls of film (nitrate), which was great fun, but I suspected that there may be other sizes available.
                              Then bingo! I spotted in a junk shop (lots of those around in the forties) a projector, and films of a much smaller guage! Turned out it was 9.5, and the next step was a Pathe Ace, and a copy of 'Trigger Law'.
                              The rest is a rather expensive history.
                              ​​

Comment

Working...
                              X