Free 9.5mm film collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free 9.5mm film collection

Hello. I have been approached by someone who has a 9.5mm film collection in the UK they will give away. There are around 70 reels in what they report seem to be OK condition. Some of the titles they could read are:
    Shoulder Arms" Charlie Chaplin
    "The Flying Scotsman"
    "The Lion Tamer"
    "Op Mullbury"
    "News of the week in colour"
    "1939-1945 events of the week"

They are not going to slog through and get all the titles nor offer piece by piece. They just want someone to take them all or they are going to dump them..

and the best part is they said they will even deliver to you if you are nearby.

"I can deliver free of charge, say 50 miles from my home which is on the East coast, just below the town of Grimsby."

If you are seriously interested send me a message and they will be yours....

It seems strange to contact you Dino when there are dealers and collectors in the u k who could take them off his hands. There are also members of the Vintage Film Circle who may be looking for specific titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
      It seems strange to contact you Dino when there are dealers and collectors in the u k who could take them off his hands. There are also members of the Vintage Film Circle who may be looking for specific titles.
      Not sure how to respond to that...I'm sorry?

Comment

Ken, I assume the films were inherited by a non-collector, who will have looked up 9.5 films online and discovered Grahame’s site, which, along with Grahame’s collection, is maintained by Dino.

The couple of remaining UK dealers don’t have much interest in 9.5 as far as I’m aware, and I don’t think the Vintage Film Circle has any online presence. So a non-expert would not have found them.

I think it’s very generous of Dino to have posted this offer on here - something that wouldn’t even occur to most film archivists.

Comment

You are probably right about the collection being inherited by a non collector and not aware of the Vintage Film Circle., and hence contacted Dino and it is indeed very generous of Dino to have posted the the offer on the forum. One can only hope that someone does take up the offer. Too late for me I am afraid as I am approaching the time when I will need to pass on my equally large collection but there must be some remaining 9.5 enthusiasts who could take up the offer, if only to ensure that no very rare prints that are no longer in existence on any other format end up being dumped. Dino, I very much admire what you are doing and I just thought that someone with such a large collection would have left more information for the family members regarding their disposal.

Comment

Thanks Ken. I am trying to do the best I can and make sure anything that I get approached with through Grahame's website gets offered up to collector's in the UK.

Comment

Dino, I have spoken to Patrick Moules, of the Vintage Film Circle today and he will be contacting you about this collection of films on offer for free. Many of the members of Group 9.5 were or are members of the VFC. The two organisations started about the same time, the VFC a bit earlier, mainly for those collecting films or interested in films of the silent era, whereas Group 9 .5 was formed to ensure the supply of film and equipment following the demise of Pathescope. For the benefit of our friends across the Pond, it must be remembered that 9.5 enabled people of limited means to indulge in the hobby. Standard 8 had a small following, by the less well off, mainly using Kodak Brownie equipment but the was very little available in printed films to supplement their home movies. The better off trading in their 9.5 gear and films for Super 8 was a godsend for those of us of limited means to pick up a bargain.!!

Comment

Yes Patrick and I are great friends and we spoke yesterday. I am happy to say that Cliff Perrium sent out an email to all of the group 9.5 folks and somebody responded and will be picking up the collection, so it will be saved, and someone gets a substantial free collection, and it will stay in the UK.,So hopefully everyone will be pleased...

Comment

Good news, Dino!

Comment

Working...
                  X